In a vase on Monday: Sunshine Daffs

Thank you to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting the meme ‘In a Vase on Monday’. This is my first time!

I haven’t been very creative, I’m afraid, and these daffs aren’t even from the garden. They were from the supermarket, for a pound! How do they do that? Are the growers on the Scilly Isles missing out? I would rather buy seasonal local flowers than characterless year-round blooms, but hope I’m supporting the right people.

My daffodils are not quite there yet, so I bought these to tide me over.

Putting a flower in a vase really makes you appreciate its structure (see my post Focus on a Flower) and the daff has quite an impressive structure.

Look at the undulations and the ruffles of the trumpet:

And the sucked-in stigma and anthers:

And the green of the neck, which does shine through to the inside:

I almost prefer daffodils in bud, or half-open. This is the same bunch two days ago:

There’s a subtle fragrance too.

I look forward to your more exciting vases. I loved this one from Christina’s ‘My Hesperides Garden’.

1. Stevie says:

“Serious” gardeners who show their flowers would label them as large cup or small cup, but I just like the big yellowy ones that shout “Spring!” at you.

Liked by 2 people

Yes, Stevie, there is more coming up later in the week about ‘cup size’! 😂

2. What a beautiful bit of spring! Thanks for sharing

Liked by 1 person

3. I thought for a moment your daffs must be very advanced. Only one is out in my garden in Sussex, although in the field near us there is a whole bank. Lovely and cheery anyway!

Yes, the same here – one or two almost out, but I think they will stay that way for a few days! I really want a proper snowfall!!

4. pbmgarden says:

Cheerfulness in a vase–lovely. I enjoyed the way to took time to notice the structure of the flowers. A lesson there for me to slow down.

Liked by 2 people

That’s why I pick flowers. You get to know them so much better!

5. Cath says:

Beautiful! I love the vase too.

It is one of my favourites, Cath!

Liked by 1 person

6. This looks like a pitcher full of sunshine. Happy IAVOM.

Thank you, Lisa!

The Daf s are up here…every where.

Liked by 1 person

I was surprised to see them out too, till I read on – although the Tete a Tete here that get the early morning sun are nearly there. IAVOM has taught the rest of us the joys of observing our plants close up – and that’s just one of its benefits, as you will ahve been finding out i recent weeks when you have been popping in. I also love your jug – and hopefully we will see both you and your jug again on IAVOM soon! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Thanks Cathy!

9. Peter Herpst says:

There’s nothing quite as happy as daffodils in the spring whether they come from the supermarket or the garden. Yours look especially nice in your tall pitcher.

Thank you Peter!

10. Noelle says:

I have only a few planted in our new garden…but down the road on the verges they are out..now I do have a reputation worth preserving, and in any case if I went to pick them, and then someone else did the same etc..there would be non left. So instead I shall admire your pictures and peer at their lovely sturctures. Welcome to the group!

Thank you Noelle!

11. A perfect bunch of sunshine in your lovely vase!

Thank you Donna!

12. Jill Kuhn says:

Your daffodils are lovely! 🌼💚🌼 I enjoyed seeing your photos of the flower as it will make me pay more attention to the details. Daffodils and Tulips sing Spring to me!! I am so ready for our snow to melt…

Thanks Jill! I have just ordered a macro lens for my phone so you can expect more close-ups of flowers!

13. AlisonC says:

You are right, you really can see the detail up close and these are so jaunty, just what we need to see. Hopefully you will have your own to show off very soon.

Liked by 1 person

Love the word ‘jaunty’. Thank you, Alison!

A beautiful burst of sunshine, and thanks so much for sharing it even if they aren’t your own! I often also resort to bought flowers at this time of year. Spring will soon be here though! 🙂

15. Kris P says:

Lovely! I wouldn’t have been able to pass those blooms up in the market either!

16. karen says:

Just like sunshine. Beautiful. Love your jug too. Very pretty. All the best. Karen 🙂

Thanks Karen! The jug is a National Trust gift shop splurge!

1. karen says:

I love the National Trust. A favourite place to visit and shop.

17. Christina says:

Thanks for the link. I love daffodils, but they don’t really grow very well here I think it is too dry for them in summer.