A Winter Walk

This morning Stevie suggested we go for a walk over the snowy fields before it all melts away.

We tracked animal footprints, spotting lots of different-sized birds, rabbits, foxes, possibly a badger, possibly a deer.

We admired the partly-frozen river and the undulating snowdrifts along its banks.

There were gnarly oaks:.

And blue blue sky.

The snow got softer in the sun; the crunch sound changed to something softer.  It glistened blue.

It will be gone tomorrow, but we enjoyed it today. We made the most of it.

My aim on this site is to share the sense of wonder I get from gardening and being outdoors.

If you would like to join the joy, click on the ‘Follow’ button at the end of this post. You will receive an email each time I post a little pop of wonder.

1. Tish Farrell says:

This sounds like an excellent meme, Ali. And you have also explained the meaning of the word which has vaguely puzzled me. The light in your photos is stunning. So beautiful but very cold.

I had to look up the dictionary definition of soulful to check I understood it! It is officially ‘expresses deep feelings, especially sadness or love’ (Collins); ‘deep feeling, profoundly emotional’ (Free dictionary), so there is a bit of free interpretation going on here!

2. fredgardener says:

I really enjoyed your post and your pictures . the snow is sometimes boring for the vegetation (and when you drive your car!) but it is beautiful also.

Yes, I did appreciate seeing my plants again, as the snow melted this afternoon! I like snow for a while, but I am happy to move on!

3. mliae says:

Heeyyy….that’s a great idea! 🙂

4. Lovely idea and beautiful photos. I find being part of a little blogging community so rewarding. 😊

5. Stevie says:

How about “Sitting in the Rumex obtusifolius of a Laurus Nobilis”?

Stevie darling you will have to explain.

6. Stevie says:

Sitting on the dock of a bay.

I don’t pretend to be a writer but I just may have something to say about this subject. I paper craft handmade cards and have one ,really two, I haven’t talked about just yet Let me think on this. My Sunday isn’t here yet so I have a little time left. But I may not know how to do what you said to do. Tech and i don’t get along .

I can’t wait. Message me if you have problems and we can try to work it out together!

I’m adding your link in here, Beverly. Looks perfect for the meme.

8. Tina Schell says:

A lovely idea Ali – and your photos of the snow are quite beautiful. We rarely have snow down here in the south but this year was an exception!

Thank you, Tina! We haven’t had proper snow for four years, so this was a treat for us too!

9. I’ll join in! It’s what my whole blog is about! See you on Sunday. 🙂

That’s brilliant! Thank you!

10. Dahlia says:

Love your photos especially of the gnarly oak. Soulful Sunday seems like a great idea 🙂

Gnarly oaks always make a good photo! Thank you, would love to have your fiction input!

11. Jill Kuhn says:

Stunning photos, Ali! And I like your idea of Soulful Sundays… I will have to give this one some thought! 🌷

Fab. I was hoping that would happen!

12. I love these snow pictures! Gorgeous.

Thanks Shelly!

13. annpappas says:

This is lovely – when I retire I’ll have the time to do more blogging 🙂

Oh good. I would love to have your input, Ann.

14. John Kingdon says:

A great idea for a meme. Can’t promise a weekly contribution but I will drop in to read. You’ve taken some wonderful photos. Although most of us who aren’t children any more hate snow, we can still appreciate the beauty of a snowscape. It has an innate purity, it changes the colour of the sky, it arouses curiosity as we try to work out what creature made those footprints. It’s not all bad.

Yes, maybe it should be just the first Sunday of the month. Though i’m doubting myself now. Maybe we already have too many memes? Will see how it goes, and get back in my box if there isn’t much interest!

15. I love the thinking behind this meme – I have an idea for contributing and will hopefully grab some time later to do my own post. Beautiful photographs too! I’ve been feeling fed up with the snowy weather but your photos are a reminder how beautiful it can be.

Oh, that’s lovely to hear, thank you Jules, and I look forward to your post!

16. Looks like a delightful walk, Ali. I’ve taken many such walks this winter and enjoyed the beauty of the season. I think I’m ready to switch seasons to spring now, but we’ll see how the weather cooperates. So far, so good. 🙂

janet

Yes, I am ready for spring now. I can feel it getting greener.

17. Brian Skeys says:

Some beautiful snowy pictures. I hope soulful Sunday takes off. Have you found the silent Sunday meme?

Ah. Have I reinvented the wheel, Brian? I’m quite good at that! 🤓

18. Clare Pooley says:

Thank-you so much for the follow, Ali. This meme idea is a good one and as the contribution can be a written post it will complement the photo only Silent Sunday one (which isn’t necessarily soulful!). My blogging is a bit hit-and-miss so a post from me might coincide with a Sunday, or not!

It would be lovely if they collide! I don’t anticipate people will do it every week, as it can be a bit constraining, and might inhibit other ideas and directions your mind wants to take. I think I will dip in and out of memes, and would love others to feel free to pop by when the muse is with them.

1. Clare Pooley says:

Sounds wonderful! xx

19. Gorgeous photographs! I especially like the meandering river and the gnarly oaks! Snow does make everything look more beautiful and you captured it perfectly!

I love your post. Thank you!

You have shown me the beautiful side of snow. I have not seen snow for a long time and didn’t think I ever would want to physically experience it again, but your photos make me want to walk right into your world. I found you through Tish. I will be back…

21. Lovely photographs! I’m trying to get acquainted with the blogging community, and how things work out here in blog-land. So this post inspires a question in me: how does a blogging meme work? I’m familiar with memes on social media, which are generally held together by a hashtag, but that doesn’t seem to be case here. Is this how it works: one blogger proposes a meme in a post, and others can pick it up in a post on their own blogs, leaving comment on the original post, linking to their new post featuring the meme? It’s all held together by links in comments?

Exactly that! And you can share it on twitter with #SoulfulSunday or any other social media. Welcome to the fun world of blogging!

22. Great theme idea. Blogging is a dynamic and totally engaging world. It’s one thing that I’m ever so thankful that I started doing. Your photos are beautiful.

Thank you Jacqueline!

23. Great idea… my friends and I used to celebrate a Soulful Sunday, some years ago… we gathered,both friends and strangers to share music, meditation, poetry and prayer and conversation… I’d love to join in, but am such a technological illiterate that i’d never manage all the steps you describe, so will just pop in to read… best wishes

Thank you, Valerie, I hope you enjoy it. X

24. Pam/Digging says:

Beautiful snow and photos! I’m glad to discover your blog, and I couldn’t agree more about what blogging opens the door to: a community of wonderful plant lovers. You should join the Garden Blog Reader FB page, Ali, to meet even more fellow bloggers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gardenblogreader/

Ooh, thank you, I will do! Thanks for your lovely comment!