In a vase on Monday: the local florist

This post is in praise of the local florist.  We have a few brilliant florists’ nearby, but on Saturday I was in Tenterden, and visited John Barry & Sons.  The owner was run off his feet, but took the time to have a little chat about where his blooms had come from, many of which were UK grown.  He buys his flowers from Covent Garden four times a week, which is a substantial trek for us bumpkins.

I love the smell of a florists’.  Can you smell this one?

I chose this bouquet for my mum.  These are her colours, with satin-sheened tulips in coral- and rose-pink and fuchsia, some pale pink ranunculus, white stocks (for scent), a few sprays of baby’s breath and some glaucous eucalyptus.

The posh bouquet looked rather nice with another bunch of tulips I already had on the kitchen table:

Tulips are one of my favourite flowers to examine up close.  At the moment they have a pearlescent sheen, but they will go almost metallic as they age.  I love the softly folded petals of the double tulips, but the singles allow me to peer inside and see the black star of stamens within.

I can’t wait for all the tulips in my garden to flower!  I won’t be able to arrange nearly them as tastefully as a florist, but will have the satisfaction of having grown them myself.

‘In a Vase in Monday’ is a meme hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden, so visit her site to see more offerings!

1. susurrus says:

Your post reminded me of having a ‘green’ fragrance explained to me as being the scent of a florist’s shop. Lovely pictures – I like their colour themes.

Liked by 1 person

Oh, that is interesting. There is a cut stem fragrance!

Liked by 1 person

These are beautiful tulips. Its not often you see with the petals as far open as this.

Yes, they opened when I brought them into the warmth, which happens withgarden-grown tulips in the sun.

Liked by 1 person

3. Bountiful and beautiful to look at. I bet that’s one happy florist. I firmly believe that being around such blooms will keep a smile on anyone’s face. I hope you share your blooms with us 🙂

I certainly will!

4. Lucky mum and lovely flowers! I can’t wait for our tulips to come out now either – their leaves are teasing me.

I know! I’ve got some species tulips that might be a couple of weeks away; most are a month or so I think. Am willing them to stretch!

Liked by 1 person

5. Truthfully I don’t have local florist I like except our local big grocer who has amazing flowers….flowers up close are wonderful especially tulips.

Yes, it is why I bring them indoors, to appreciate them up close.

6. AlisonC says:

A lovely gift. We all adore Tulips at IAVOM and can’t get enough of them.

Oh good. I’m in good company!

7. Peter Herpst says:

You’re a very thoughtful daughter! It’s very exciting that tulips in the garden will soon be doing their colorful dance to welcome spring. The foretaste of things to come brought by forced bulbs is a special treat!

Yes, it is an indulgence. My mum definitely deserves it!

Flowers put a smile on everyone’s’ face.

They do. They draw you in.

Liked by 1 person

Yes, lovely blooms – and oh to be able to grow ranunculus successfully…! I have tried several ttimes with very little success. Your Mum wil have been thrilled with them, especially as you have chosen each type of bloom with a particuar reason in mind. I keep peering at my species tulips too, but was surprised today to see flower buds pushing out of some of those bargain tulips I bought in December so they may turn out to be the first! Thanks for joining in, Ali

I keep thinking about growing ranunculus, and then I think I google how to grow them and decide it’s too difficult! I think it’s nice to have a few things you don’t grow and can admire when other people do.
      I look forward to seeing the flowers on those bargain blooms!

I suppose I could google as well to see where I was going wrong…!

A quick little google just reminded me they are not hardy – if the soil freezes they turn up their toes, so not suitable for my garden.

Looks like growing in pots is a better option, then?

Yes, sounds like it. Close to house?

Inside the greenhouse, methinks!

Liked by 1 person

10. How lovely they are. I think working in a florists must be wonderful … breathing in all those beautiful scents all day.

Yes, It is one of my many fantasy alternative jobs!

Liked by 1 person

11. myplaidheart says:

So lovely. I love tulips as well. Unfortunately, so do the deer that frequent my yard!

Oh no! Naughty deer! Is there any deterrent?

Liked by 1 person

1. myplaidheart says:

There is a product that I buy called Liquid Fence that works well. You have to plug your nose when you spray it because it’s really horrible smelling but it does seem to do a good job deterring the deer. Maybe I’ll plant some tulip bulbs this fall for next year and see how it goes.

12. Alison says:

Those tulips are very pretty! I haven’t been to a florist in ages. I should check a few out in my area, I’m sure there will be times in the future when I might want to use one, or maybe augment meager offerings from my own garden.

I used to find florists a bit intimidating, but I think I’ve got over it now. They’re generally just nice places to have a little sniff around!

13. Absolutely beautiful!

Liked by 2 people

14. Annette says:

Oh yes, I can smell it! And how tempting too! Lovely vase and I’m already looking forward to seeing the tulips you grow in your garden 🤗🌷🌷🌷

Thanks Annette!

15. Kris P says:

How I wish I could grow tulips, in any color much less the scrumptious color you chose for your mum!

You have some gorgeous spring bulbs, Kris – I just had a little look at your blog, but will be back!

16. How refreshing to see such vivid colors

I do love my brights!

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too ;)🌷🌷🌷

Liked by 1 person

17. Jill Kuhn says:

Your tulips are a delight to my eyes and my nose – yes! I know I can smell their sweet perfume…if only in memory but that is enough for now. Thank you for posting such beauties! 😍❤️🌷

Thank you, Jill!

18. annamadeit says:

I love the smell of a good florist shop! I’m with you on the tulips – I just can’t get enough of them. Of course they look terrible in the garden after their run in the sun, but – oh well… I would not want to garden without them!

Me neither. I try to hide the foliage with pillowy perennials, like hardy geraniums and alchemilla.

Liked by 1 person

19. You are lucky to have such a quality florist, we buy our cut flowers at the supermarket.

20. Evelyn Flint says:

Your beautiful flower photos may inspire me to do some watercolour floral paintings…. !

That’s wonderful, Evelyn! Look forward to seeing them!