In a vase on Monday: together and apart

I rescued these blue hyacinths from being swallowed whole by my Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae.

I initially put my three spikes of hyacinth in a glass jar with some Primula vulgaris. And it looked like this:

But I wondered if they might look better in separate jars, like this:

I think I prefer them separate. I think I get sensory overload from mingled blooms. It feels like the flowers can stretch out and breathe too.

Also I like to examine flowers up close. I like the greenish tinge on the unopened hyacinths:

The buds look almost lumpen, but this is because the mature flowers will have structure and strength. Adolescence is tricky, but temporary!

Whilst primroses seem to manage to look perfect from infancy through to old age. Look at the newly opened flower on the left:

And the more papery, beautifully veined older flower below:

Finally, look at the stems. How do primroses even stand up on these little pins? Whilst hyacinths are held on good solid tree trunks.

Hyacinths also have lovely glossy tights:

Hyacinths perfume a whole room, whilst you have to get close to breathe in the scent of primroses.

Purple hyacinths and buttermilk primroses are opposites in many ways, but work well together.  They benefit from wiggle room, and can then snuggle in at the end of the day.

Do you like my little jars, by the way? I love them. They held gifts of homemade jam and chutney, and are the perfect size for a small post of spring blooms.

So there is my ‘In a vase on Monday’. If you follow that link you can visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden, to see what other people have found this morning!

1. pbmgarden says:

Wow, I love that rich blue of the hyacinth. It’s nice seeing your two versions.

I just looked up the variety, and it is ‘Spring Field’. It has opened out a bit more now and the variations of blue are stunning.

1. pbmgarden says:

Thanks for sharing that name.

Liked by 1 person

2. Gorgeous photos of beautiful flowers. I like the way you have drawn the contrasts between the two. Primroses are my all time favourite. 🙂

Primroses are divine, aren’t they? I was just admiring their side-profile!

Liked by 1 person

3. I love your jars – full of Spring!

Liked by 1 person

4. Gorgeous colours and just shows how great flowers can look in simple jam jars!

Liked by 1 person

Honestly, I love jam jars! I’m trying not to buy anything new at the moment, so am upcycling all over the place.

Liked by 2 people

5. Yes, I love the repurposing of those handsome jars along with the beautiful blooms. My only regret is I can’t smell the fragrance of that Hyacinth. I do love that smell. Happy Monday. 🙂

It is lovely. Maybe the most powerful of all the fragrant flowers I grow.

Liked by 1 person

Beautiful! I have a lot of small bottles for this very thing. Your phots are very nice and clear. Love it.

Liked by 1 person

🤓. I always assess a potential container by the width of its neck and it’s height!

7. Peter Herpst says:

Sweet jars holding even sweeter contents. They look great both together and apart. Really enjoyed your comparison of the flowers.

Thank you Peter!

8. It is hard to beat the simplicity of a jam jar for showing off the beauty of spring flowers. 🌼

I agree. ❤️

Liked by 2 people

They look wonderful. Hyacinthes have such a wonderful scent too.

They do. Delicious.

10. AlisonC says:

So pretty and so much detail to be seen. They must smell good too.

Thanks Alison.

11. Though you prefer the flowers separately, I really like how you arranged the hyacinths and the primroses together in your first vase. The contrast in petal structure and color made for a nice combination.

12. FlowerAlley says:

I loved how you studied these to contrast them. great job.

Liked by 1 person

13. I love how you compared the 2 flowers….they do work well together….a beautiful spring vase!

Thank you, Donna!

Such pertinent observations, Ali – one of the unexpected joys of IAVOM is this greater opportunity to inspect things close up. It was good to see them both separately and apart too, and on balance I like them cuddling up togetheras they seem to bring out the best in each other. Thanks for sharing

15. Diana Studer says:

I realise I have never seen primroses in life. Potted hyacinths at a Swiss supermarket, yes.

It’s a pleasure to share them!

16. Amy says:

Oh… so lovely!

17. Kris P says:

They’re lovely, both together or separate. I liked how you compared and contrasted the flowers too. I just returned from a morning of training to become a docent at my local botanic garden and I thought your approach here is just the kind of thing I should be encouraging garden visitors to see!

Ah, that’s great, Kris. What an exciting role!

18. Lovely beautiful pictures, flowers and how your words created the experience of them!

19. Thank you for going into such depth about each characteristic. It’s a very good learning tool for a novice. I like them together, as well as separate!

Thank you, Terri, I’m glad you liked it.

20. Dahlia says:

I really enjoyed this post – very educative too. Thanks

21. Jill Kuhn says:

I love how you share the details of each flower, like the stems and how they are different on each plant. And their gorgeous colors and how they change as they age… Your photos are so beautiful! 💙🦋🎨 And your descriptions, poetic! 😍

Thank you, Jill!

Liked by 1 person

22. I agree they are better in separate vases/ jan pots. Primula vulgaris is my favourite as I find hyacinth scent too strong in the house. Stunning colour

Liked by 1 person

It is quite a punchy one!

Liked by 1 person

I tend to cram too many flowers into a vase. It is lovely to keep them separate so you can appreciate every tiny detail. Beautiful photos.

Thanks Chloris!

24. Island Time says:

A lovely springtime blog post! You have inspired me; maybe time to try out one of these meme things; having trouble coming up with a “next post” subject…..I love pretty little blooms in simple little jars, together or apart. Perfection! And how much farther along your spring appears to be; still only snowdrops, crocus and a few budding daffs here at the moment; looking forward to the rest!

Me too. The momentum starts to build, doesn’t it?

25. Anna says:

Yellow and blue are always excellent companions Ali and and your old chutney and jam jars make perfect containers. That hyacinth is made up of fabulous shades of blue and almost black in places. Simply beautiful!

Thanks Anna, you appreciated all the things I love!

I love the way you really examined your flowers and appreciated their beauty. Not everyone does that. ❤ 🙂

Thanks Eliza!

27. Noelle says:

Lovely indigo hues in the hyacinth..beautiful photography.