Six on Saturday: Patience!

on

Tulips (nearly!)

Tulips are the big opener for my garden show. There are noises backstage and the lights have dimmed, but the curtain’s not raised!

Tyger Tyger

I cut back the bedraggled penstemons this week and look what I found! Love the green stripes on these hyacinths!

Euphorbia

They’re ready for the tulips. Come on tulips!

Let me look in my crystal ball…

I no longer have jelly in my lupins, just raindrops in my aquilegia:

Raspberries vs Roses

In this border between my flower garden and Stevie’s allotment we have ‘Thug’s Corner’. I planted the hybrid perpetual rose ‘Reine de Violettes’ a couple of years ago. It is a frustrating rose, often balling, or sending out mad 6′ canes. The raspberries are now invading, and I’m letting them. They all look rather lovely with all their fruity berry tones in midsummer together with Knautia macedonica and Centranthus ruber.

Rose Torture

You might have seen my post earlier this week, about how roses are trained on hazel hoops at Sissinghurst. Well I couldn’t source these hoops, so I’m experimenting. Last year the gallica rose ‘Charles de Mills’ was a little too upright, so I’ve pegged it down to stress it into producing more flowering side-shoots. It might layer and produce new plants. It can get its own back later by pinging back into my face, so I will enjoy both eyes whilst I have them, and next year I’ll be looking for hazel hoops!

That’s my Six! Visit The Propagator‘s page for more!

1. Tish Farrell says:

That header tulip is a dream. It’s good to show the upcoming crop what they’re aiming for! Don’t think I’ll be seeing my tulips for a good while yet. All is shivering in the garden today.

It is a nice one at this stage. I think it’s ‘Exotic Emperor’. The green outer petals start to look a bit spiky later, and I don’t like it quiteso much.

1. Tish Farrell says:

The great thing about tulips is that they go through so many transformations, and especially if you cut them and put them in a vase. They seem to keep rearranging themselves.

They do, as if they want to catch your attention afresh!

Lots of wonderful things happening in your garden, Ali. The tulip in the first photo is especially beautiful.

Thanks Jane! It is rather lush!

3. fredgardener says:

Wonderful head picture ! I also liked the droplets on aquilegia leaves that remind me of a Twitter post about it…

Thanks Fred. I do love leaves that hold water droplets.

4. Come on tulips – they were out this time last year.
    Interesting point about Rosa Charles de Mills which I have just planted.

It is a beautiful rose. One of my favourites.

5. Beautiful photos, as always. I almost think I like tulips best when they are tight budded and about to pop, with just a glimpse of what is to come. Go, with your rose torturing methods!

I love them in all their stages, but I know what you mean. Their plump promise.

6. A. JoAnn says:

Your raindrops photo is a beauty! As for the tulips, they look like they will be spectacular. Tulips for me live in my dreams, the dreams where I have a giant but beautiful wooden fence to keep out the critters.

Ah, those critters! You must have nightmares!

I have never grown tulips. I think the ground voles.would eat them.
    Love the water drops too and often up clear drops on my paper flowers . Makes them look all the more real. Your garden is coming along beautifully. Well done.

Naughty little voles! I plant my tulip bulbs with lots of grit to deter any little munchers!

Sand or small pebbles?

In between. About 5mm peices. But sand would also work!

8. Anonymous says:

So envious of your tulips – my buds are not even half that size – even the ‘adult’ ones.

They’ll get there!

9. What a lovely post – love your tulip and stripy hyacinth. One day, I will get round to trying willow hoops to pressure my roses into flower.

We could take the hoop challenge!

10. I am so excited to see how your garden develops. I love the pictures of raindrops on leaves in this post. Also! I posted a link to your blog on my FB and encouraged everyone to read your blog, especially if they like gardening. Your blog brings me a lot of joy.

Thank you Shelly! That’s fab!

11. croftgarden says:

I rather like tulips at the bud and pre-opening stage; once they open it is so often all over very quickly. Anticipation is everything, well sometimes!

I know what you mean!

12. I have Charles de Mills and have never really bonded with him. Maybe I should pin him down too!

I think that could make or break the relationship!

13. cavershamjj says:

Brill Six. I dont have any shrub roses (well i do but trained like climbers) . If i did id be trying pegging out like you have. The buds on those tulips look nice.and fat. Mine are on their way too. Can’t wait.

How do you train your shrub roses?

1. cavershamjj says:

Buy large ones that grow 5 or more feet then proceed as with a climber. Just need training and tying in.

Ah! Useful for the ungainly ones like ‘Reine de Violette’ and ‘William Shakespeare 2000’!

14. I love the raindrop shots!

Yes, I think I do too. Raindrops are under-valued!

I have one tulip open already, but the rest are in bud. I adore tulips so am getting quite excited to see what this year brings. And I too love the raindrops on the Aquilegia. Mine is hiding under the bamboo which is probably not the best place for it. Need to buy some seeds!

It’s a brilliant time of year, isn’t it? Aquilegia are great grown from seed – the prettiest little seedlings!

16. Sophie says:

Lovely, lovely Ali.

Thanks, Sophie. And thank you for the Linky. Enjoy finding new blogs!

17. Lora Hughes says:

That hyacinth blossom is so lovely. Are they usually like that? I’ll have to take a closer look, next time I come across one. Lovely six!

They are in the early stages, Lora, then turn into a lovely blue and purple. They might be ‘Delft Blue’.

18. Clare Pooley says:

You could grow your own mini nuttery and use all the prunings for your hoops. This won’t solve your immediate need but you’d have all the hoops and nuts you need in a couple of years.

That is not a bad idea. We do have a cobnut – wonder if it’s ready for a prune? 😀