Good morning, my fine feathered friends!

The title is an homage to one of my favourite children’s books, Quentin Blake’s Cockatoos.

Each morning Professor Dupont, a dapper chap, jumps out of bed, takes a shower, cleans his teeth, gets dressed, ties his tie, adjusts his spectacles and goes downstairs.  He goes into his conservatory and there are all his cockatoos.  He throws wide his arms and says:

“Good morning, my fine feathered friends!”

Which is exactly what I want to say when I visit my tulips each morning.

So I just thought I would devote this post to the most marvellous parrots that I have seen this tulip time.  I will let them do the squawking.  So that you don’t get parroted out, I have chucked a couple of fringed and peony-flowered tulips in too.

These tulips were photographed at Perch Hill (Sarah Raven’s Open Garden) on Saturday.  I will post more on Perch Hill later in the week.

First ‘Victoria’s Secret’:

img_7284
Tulipa ‘Victoria’s Secret’

‘What a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive’. (Walter Scott)

Next a fringed tulip, not a parrot at all, but still rather marvellous.  I saw the pinky peachy lilac ‘Louvre’ at Dixter.  Here is ‘Louvre Orange’:

img_7310
Tulipa ‘Louvre Orange’ (fringed tulip)

I know I have already photographed ‘Antraciet’ a lot, but mine went over so quickly (getting sunburn) I feel I haven’t quite had my fill.  Here she is looking cherrylicious:

img_7265-1
Tulipa ‘Antraciet’ (double late tulip).

Back to the parrots.  And what a parrot!  ‘Apricot Parrot’.

img_7278-1
Tulipa ‘Apricot Parrot’

Next, ‘Slawa’, which is also on the list for next year.  I love the feathering on the outside of the petals.

img_7293-1

Next, ‘Cerise Parrot’:

img_7287-1
Tulipa ‘Cerise Parrot’

And finally one which may set some teeth on edge.  When I have seen online photos of Tulipa ‘Blumex’ it has resembled a horrific but compelling bruise. It was not so gruesome in the flesh.

img_7296-1
Tulipa ‘Blumex’

Parrot tulips always seem to evoke a strong reaction.  They are the Marmite tulips: you love them or hate them.  Can you guess which camp I’m in?  How about you?

In my case it’s Vegemite (which I love) but I’m not sure about the tulips. They seem a bit over-the-top to me. Except ‘Slawa’- or is that the way it’s photographed? It seems much less of a show-off and therefore more desirable. I don’t know how I feel about tulips yet, but I’ve bought a few bulbs to plant and I’ll be letting people know in our Spring!

Liked by 1 person

You’re right: ‘Slawa’ is a single. I just chucked it in because I loved it so much, and the marking on the petal looked like a feather. A much less hectic shape!

Liked by 1 person

I’m with you Jane, definitely vegemite. I love to look at tulips but when I tried to grow them in NZ (wouldn’t have a show here at all) they do not last very long. I prefer flowers that stay open for longer. But you certainly have some beauties

Liked by 1 person

It’s interesting that they don’t cope with heat. I assumed that as they originate from Turkey they would, but I guess those are the original species: these ones have been bred for bigger blooms, and so are more prone to drying out and shrivelling up in heat.

Liked by 1 person

I once read that in this climate you have to put the bulbs in the fridge to chill them before planting. So maybe it is our warmer winters they do not like

Yes, I remember people telling me that about daffodils too, and finding it funny. How about peonies? They need a period of cold too, and I don’t remember seeing them in Australia.

Liked by 1 person

3. Gorgeous selection of tulips. Makes me wish I had planted more (and different varieties) last fall!

Liked by 1 person

I do that every year. I think you would never feel you have planted enough – that garden swallows them up. My solution is to plant lots of different varieties in pots or concentrated areas.

I haven’t grown parrots for years, and they were much less flamboyant then, until this one, when I planted Avignon. It is looking good, but I suspect the head is too heavy for my windy location. Yesterday I went out to inspect the troops and several tulips (mostly Brown Sugar) had broken off just below their necks. Snapped! Just like that! Decapitated! Beheaded! Call it what you will. I was bereft, scooping up the poor flowers and putting them in a rose vase, the only thing that could keep their tiny stalks upright. Sigh… maybe next year I will plant more dwarf bulbs as they seem to be survivors.

Liked by 1 person

Oh no! I feel your pain! Yes, species tulips might be the answer. Possibly interplanting with something to prop them up too?

Liked by 1 person

I have stuck some twiggy supports in the pots, but several people have suggested it could be squirrels! I have only ever seen one here, but who knows.

There’s no end to the naughtiness of grey squirrels!

Liked by 1 person

5. These are all adorable Ali. I would soo love to visit Perch Hill.

Liked by 1 person

It is a treat. I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. X

Liked by 1 person

Well Sarah Raven know her stuff. Beautiful!

Liked by 1 person

She does. She has an eye for a good tulip.

Love them! (And Marmite too!) 😉

Thank you Mohinder!

8. Definitely will have to find my way to the nursery this fall to add some tulips to the garden! 😊

Liked by 1 person

Glad they got your vote. I think we’re about even with numbers of people who love them and those who hate them!

Thanks Rupali!

Liked by 1 person

I’m glad you enjoyed them.

Liked by 1 person

Definitely in the LOVE camp!

Fab. You chose the right side!

Liked by 1 person

Beautiful! Such lucious flowers. I am not used to these frilly tulips. My father used to grow some lovely tulips on his allotment, sadly he’s had to give it up because the digging is too much for him these days.

Ah, that’s sad. I love nosing around near allotments to see what people are growing.

Liked by 1 person

My father used to grow a lot of wonderful flowers and fruit but the digging got too much. He still has a garden to grow things in, though!

Liked by 1 person

11. That books sounds delightful, and these pictures were a wonderful way to start my day. Thank you, Ali!

It is a fab book. The illustrations have all the joyful energy of yours, Shelly.

All quite sumptuous. I am particularly fond of the frilly ones.

Apart from irises I can’t think of another flower that is quite so frou-frou.

13. I’m a great fan of Cockatoos – so nice to see the reference – and lovely tulips there too

Ah, thank you!