A Profusion of Pots at Perch Hill

I went for total indulgence in the hot spell last week.  I reasoned that it was too hot for serious gardening, so I may as well visit other gardens and bask in the tulip displays.  So on Friday it was Great Dixter and on Saturday I took the family to Sarah Raven’s Open Garden at Perch Hill.

Sarah Raven was the garden writer who got me hooked on tulips and dahlias (see my post Five inspirational garden writers for International Women’s Day) and so I always visit her garden with a sense of gratitude.  I have subsequently spent a small fortune on her bulbs and tubers over the years, and have watched her business grow into an empire.  She is the Queen of Glamourous Gardening.

I was thinking that we would catch one of the talks given by Sarah Raven through the day.  I have attended one of these before and found her to be engaging and eloquent.  I even thought the girls would enjoy this, as might Stevie.  Unfortunately the talk was £15, on top of the £7 entrance fee, which I thought was a bit excessive.  So we just wandered.

I won’t show photos of the cutting patch, because it was what you would expect.  Remember I had visited Dixter the day before, where I was, frankly, blown away by the verdant abundance in the borders.  So it was inevitable that neat lines of tulips and euphorbia, no matter how pretty the woven supports, were not going to make me swoon today.

Like my own tulips at home, many tulip varieties in the ground were looking decidedly scraggy.  This was the same at Dixter in the nursery beds.  For the first time this year in my bright border I have noticed signs of possible tulip fire, where the leaves and blooms are attacked by a fungus Botrytis tulipae, which can mean you have to dig up your tulips and not grow them in the same place for three years.  I overheard a gardener at Sissinghurst saying they have had the same.  However it may be due to the strange weather, rather than blight, so they are not panicking.

I ordered ‘Bruine Wimpel’ and ‘La Belle Epoque’ for the first time this year.  This is ‘La Belle Epoque’ (I am still waiting for ‘Bruine Wimpel’ to flower):

In the last couple of years, Sarah Raven’s catalogue has taken on softer tones, with more white, cream, pink and apricot than the bold and bright schemes she is known for.  I have tried to embrace this, but I have to say I am disappointed in ‘La Belle Epoque’.  She looks lovely if you peer inside, but, well… pasty from the outside.

But I am taken with ‘Violet Beauty’:

img_7324

Tulipa ‘Abu Hassan’ was prominent in the farmhouse garden, which also shows off the wonderful views onto the surrounding landscape:

img_7323

We wound our way around the trial beds, up to the vegetable beds, and onto the terrace.

‘Apricot Parrot’ blew me away:

img_7281-1
Tulipa ‘Apricot Parrot’

Time and time again we stopped to admire the pots.  Here is a wonderful display of ‘Slawa’ and ‘Brownie’:

I love that splodge at the centre of ‘Slawa’, and there is a corresponding dark feather on the outside of the petals.  ‘Slawa’ and ‘Apricot Parrot’ are top of my list for next year.

We stopped for cappucinno cake (if you want children to enjoy garden visits there must be cake).  And then we made our way to the Oast Garden.  This really did it for all of us.

img_7315
Oast Garden, Perch Hill

Here was that Dixterish profusion, with Honesty, Euphorbia and Smyrnium, and gazillions of alliums poking through.

img_7316

But pots.  Oh the pots!  I adore bright pink and orange together, so this combination of ‘Louvre Orange’ and ‘Atilla Grafitti’ was my idea of a party.

There were a pair of pots at each entrance to the garden, and quite a few along the path.  I momentarily worried about the cost of ramming all of these pots full of bulbs, but then I remembered who the owner is.

img_7322

The Anemone coronaria (Da Caen Group, I think) were pretty stunning too:

And in case you’re bored of round pots, let’s have an oval tub:

img_7320
Tulipa ‘Brownie’, ‘Antraciet’, ‘Copper Image’, ‘Dream Touch’

We spent more time in the Oast Garden and Dutch Courtyard than any other part of the garden.  This is what Sarah Raven does best.  She has a knack of choosing three or four varieties that just look wonderful together.  A dark base tone, a bright, and a couple of harmonising tones.  Throw in contrasting forms and plan for longevity.  Easy?

So whilst this garden visit could not possibly match the ecstasy at Dixter, it was very beautiful.  I have come away with the desire to create more mixed pots for next year.  I have a list as long as my arm of possible varieties to try.

Have you tried any new varieties of tulips this year?  Have you ever been seduced by a catalogue description and then been disappointed?  Can you share any favourite combinations for pots?  Are you a pastels or brights kind of a person?

1. annpappas says:

I think I must try growing some Tulips in containers next Spring – but then the weevils might get them?! I love our indigenous Spring bulbs, such as Freesias, and Sparaxis.

Freesias were my gran’s favourite flower. They are lovely.

Liked by 1 person

Oh what a delightful garden. I am not surprised that “Apricot Parrot” blew you away. It’s a stunner!

It really was. Thanks Emma!

Liked by 1 person

3. I am a traditionalist when it comes to tulips – I like bold solid colours and solid curves. No frilly edges for the most part (may be swayed if it is a great colour) but I think I will surely be referring back to your blog in autumn to get a reminder of the names/colours to buy for next year.

I am totally greedy and don’t know when to stop. I like to have a mix of parrots, lily-flowered, singles, doubles…

1. I am greedy too but I still like to have a ‘theme’ you should check out the tulips I saw today; I thought of you. https://tinyurbanfarmer.wordpress.com/2018/04/25/living-vicariously-part-two

4. Tish Farrell says:

Just been leafing through her catalogue which, you will know, causes unbridled plant lust. Fabulous to see Perch Hill in tulip bloom.

Liked by 1 person

It does! I have to have a cool-down period after reading it! Though I have found alternative suppliers the last couple of years…

1. Tish Farrell says:

Me too. Chiltern Seeds have lovely catalogues.

2. Tish Farrell says:

Of course. I read that post. Duh! 🙂

Sorry Tish. It’s tulip-onset dementia.

5. Susan Beard. says:

Love the mix of Tulips. ,I will be putting baby pink with grandma mauve and buttermilk cream -embraced by clouds of Forget me Nots ….next year. 🌾😀

That sounds divine!

I love the pinks and oranges together too. I grew Apricot Parrot in pots this year and was stunned for a day or two, but then they turned decidedly pink with not a slightest tinge of apricot left. The smaller Creme Lizard I planted in the same pot didn’t show up at all either… you win some and lose some! I looked back at my tulip posts in past years and was sad to note that around 2 thirds of my tulips have been lost to mice this winter. I wish you better luck with your bulbs!

It is interesting observing them over the whole flowering period, as they really do change, don’t they? I wonder if SR had been bringing some varieties on and holding others back so that they were all flowering together at their peak – the ones in pots at least. The parrots are the worst repeaters – they are much smaller the second year, and have largely disappeared the third. Whereas the lily-flowered and viridifloras are fantastic for repeating.

Liked by 1 person

7. The Oast Garden is just superb and those pots! Magnificent…

The Oast garden really did take your breath away. I thought it was all very nice until we got to the Oast Garden, and then it went up a notch.

Liked by 1 person

I see ‘Slawa’ makes another appearance! I think I should put the two big pots languishing behind my shed to good use and plant some tulips in them. And the bright colours are tempting me…..

‘Slawa’ does seem to be the Zeitgeist, along with ‘Belle Epoque’.

Liked by 1 person

Lucky you having such beautiful gardens so close that you can visit regularly.

I do feel a bit spoilt. And a bit like I have been let loose in a sweet shop for too long, and now need to detox a bit with some cabbage soup.

Liked by 1 person

Chuckling… ah but flowers are not fattening…

A great post. Lucky you, what a treat. I have grown tulips in pots this year. I have decided that if you grow them in the ground you need to spend a fortune to make any impact and then you have it all to do again next year.

That’s true Chloris. Small gardens are fabulous for tulips because you really can make an impact. I was mentally calculating how many tulips you would need to create the same effect – particularly when I went to Dixter, because there were tulips in almost every border. You really would need a team of gardeners and an alarming amount of grit (in my clay). So I think I too am going to concentrate on pots, my raised bed, and areas of my borders. And grow honesty, forget-me-nots and smyrnium through them. ‘Ballerina’ comes back well for me, and even seems to increase, and also ‘Tambour Maitre’. ‘Recreado’ and ‘Purple Dream’ also hold their own. I think the parrots can be pot luxuries. Lots to think about!!

Been along time since I have had tulips ( except paper ) but I think pots would be the way to go.

Yes, they do maximise the impact, and are relatively easy to plant up.

Liked by 1 person

I am glad you enjoyed it. X

Liked by 1 person

Oh, you do have some lovely gardens nearby. I would love to visit Perch Hill. I too get swayed by her catalogue and circle loads of things I want. Then I leave it a while and go back and put some of them in my wishlist. Then I leave it a while longer before actually ordering anything. I have had some hits and missed with her plants, though the tulips have on the whole been marvellous. New to me this year is the Parrot tulip ‘Avignon’ now open and what a show-off! I will have a post on her soon. Also Purple Dream which is lighter than I expected, more a lavender – lilac. I do like the very dark purples, but other than Sarah Raven, didn’t buy any for this year. I have to say I like the lily-flower ones the best, they seem so simple and elegant.
    Bruine Wimpel I grew last year – https://smallbluegreenflowers.wordpress.com/2017/05/06/plant-focus-2/
    be interesting to see what you think of it when yours opens.

Your photos are just gorgeous. What colour has ‘Avignon Parrot’ come up as? Mine is not what I expected. It is red, and I wonder whether it is actually ‘Rococo’.
      That is an excellent management plan for catalogues! Particularly the more seductive ones!

Liked by 1 person

Mine is mostly red too with striations of pink and green and yellow edges. Only one in full flower, shall see what the others do.

13. One thing’s for sure: after all these incredible tulip posts I want to grow more of them too! 😉

It can be expensive, reading blogs, can’t it?!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes it can! It’s one area of spending I never mind as the flowers and plants provide visual beauty for years and help keep our air cleaner! 😉

Yes! It’s like we’re not even spending money on ourselves, but on the world! 😂

3. I couldn’t have said it better myself! 😉🌷

What a beautiful garden – thanks for sharing your visit with us, Ali. I love that combo of pink and orange. You would think it’d be garish, but combining the right hues works brilliantly!

Gorgeously garish, maybe?!

15. Rupali says:

The flowers in natural light look much more beautiful. It’s a wonderful garden.

That’s true, Rupali. You would have taken some beautiful pictures.

1. Rupali says:

You did a great job.

16. Clare Pooley says:

I grow all my tulips in pots these days as I can protect them more easily from rodents and deer though the deer are very good at finding ways to get at them despite my barriers. I made my decision to do this after watching Carol Klein’s ‘Life in a Cottage Garden’ and then reading the book ( I saw you were impressed by this too). I like the way we can crowd the bulbs together in a tub and then move them about the garden and create different effects. She replaces all her bulbs every year which I can’t afford to do and some tulips cope better in tubs than others. The results aren’t quite as good as hers but I am pleased in the main. I love Sarah Raven’s catalogues and plants and I have also had good results from Hayloft Plants as well ( an all-woman company it seems).

Thanks Clare, I will check out Hayloft Plants!
      That’s interesting about some tulips coping better in pots than others. You really have to pack them in too, don’t you? I’m going to try to create my own combos next year.