Six Softies on Saturday

on

Inspired by all the other Six on Saturday posts which feature the dreamy tulip ‘Angelique’, I thought I would add a few soft and creamy ones of my own. Six on Saturday is where The Propagator invites garden bloggers from around the world to share six things going on in our garden right now.

1. Tulips ‘Jazz’ and ‘Marilyn’

The combination reminds me of apple blossom, and is planted near one of our apple trees to flower at the same time. ‘Jazz’ is in the foreground.

img_7526
Tulipa ‘Jazz’

2. Apple Blossom

Talking of which…

IMG_4471

3. Forget-me-nots

The forget-me-nots have lost their pink now, and are entirely soft blue, standing proud of the foliage.

IMG_4467

4. Plumptious foliage

Everything is plumping up beautifully.  Here are geranium, rose and peony pillows.  I can see flowerbuds on all of these now, and am getting ridiculously excited.

5. Virburnum opulus ‘Rosea’

I love the softness of virburnum.  This is pale green at the moment, and will plump up more, before turning snow-white.

IMG_4464
Viburnum opulus ‘Rosea’

6. Yay! One more pink tulip!

Sorry.  Couldn’t resist.

IMG_4468
Tulip ‘Jazz’

What are your favourite soft and creamy ones?

1. fredgardener says:

Ali, you have chosen another 6 beautiful things this week! My favorite is (like you, I guess) the tulip ‘Jazz’…

You guessed right! Havecreally been enjoying this tulip! The second wave of tulips have lasted so much longer than the first, which got roasted in the sun!

Liked by 1 person

2. I need to find someone who wants a Virburnham opulus! Lovely.

Oh really? Do you have one spare? Such a lovely shrub. Mine is only little at the moment. Can’t wait until it is huge.

3. Lovely and abundant softness. Really love the viburnum as well as the tulips – lots more to put on my list!

My mum and dad had one of these viburnums at their old house and I fell in love with it.

4. The allotment was covered in forgetmenots – very nice swathes of blue but considered a weed really. My mum used to have Viburnum ‘trees’ down the side of the driveway -we called them snowball trees

Ooh, how lovely.

5. cavershamjj says:

Love those tulips in the first photo. Great combo!

It’s worth stealing a colour combination from nature!

6. Tish Farrell says:

All lovely, but the apple blossom is so blissful.

I am spending a lot of time staring at it!

Liked by 1 person

7. Plumptious is a wonderful word. I may have to steal it. Love your tulip combination and that viburnum is beautiful!

It is a very useful word. I think I use it all the time.

Liked by 1 person

Lovely six, Ali. Do I detect a new word? Plumtious? Love it!

Glad you like plumptious. When there isn’t quite the right existing word, make one up!

Liked by 1 person

9. These are so gorgeous!! Those tulips…steal my heart!

They are divine, aren’t they. It is the satiny sheen on ‘Jazz’, and the way the colour fades at the edge of the petals. And the shape looks like she’s wearing a dress that is cut on the bias. Whereas Marilyn is all free and floaty, like a cotton shirt.

10. Nice! The apple blossoms are my favorite!

Liked by 1 person

You can’t improve on nature, can you? I keep visiting our apple trees – they are all very subtly different as well, in size or openness of bloom, and in the proportions of pink to white!

Liked by 2 people

1. That sounds like many different types of apples! Yum! 😊

Liked by 1 person

It’s funny how we get so excited about seeing the new foliage, when it happens every year. I just took dozens of photos of tree foliage this week in so many gorgeous colours. Seems I can’t resist. Once more I congratulate you on your sublime photos.

Liked by 1 person

I know! It happens every year, but is just as startling each year. I hope I don’t ever tire of it. You are very kind re: photos – I try!

Liked by 1 person

That is a lovely colour combo of tulips and again, love the apple blossoms!

Thanks Eliza. It shows how loved apple blossom is around the world!

Liked by 1 person

13. This was lovely to read, just like a gentle conversation , and lovely pics. Must admit I hadn’t seen Jazz before – looks lovely, a pink lily flowered one. Will check it out.

Thank you so much, that means a lot. ‘Jazz’ was a bit of a find. I think it was from JParkers wholesale.

1. Great. So easy to find then

Liked by 1 person

Should be. I also like Avon Bulbs.

14. Rupali says:

Every image stands out. Beautiful captures Alison.

Thank you Rupali.

15. Lovely 6 Ali! Especially love the Virburnum and it’s green loveliness. Almost a shame when it does turn white. Stunning photos lovely. X

Yes, I have often thought that! Like hydrangea ‘Annabel’ or ‘Limelight’ I prefer them in their early green phase.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes! I would love a hydrangea limelight….it’s on the list…..

I carelessly planted one in a too-dry tucked away spot, and neglected it to death. Annabel has proved more robust!

Liked by 1 person

3. Yes, I would like both when we plant the front garden. It looks like a building site at the mo but I can dream and pin to Pinterest!

Oh no! Hope you are all sorted soon!

Liked by 1 person

The apple blossom is gorgeous here too right now, but ‘soft and creamy’ reminded me of the big white balls of flowers lighting up the hedgerows here at the moment – Viburnum lantana. One has set itself in my garden and has flowered for the first time this year. Close up it is nothing special, but from a distance it really does shine! 🙂

We have a common guelder rose too. You are right, it looks better from a distance. I feel a hedgerow post coming on…

Liked by 1 person

17. Oh that Tulip Jazz is a Dazzler! Some wonderful photo’s.

18. That viburnum shot is fantastic. Love it!

Thanks Katharine!

19. I love the apple blossom!

Liked by 1 person

It is interesting how many people connect with the apple blossom. Though not surprising, as it is so beautiful. That colour combination of pink and white and the delicate plumpness – vulnerability and beauty, perhaps.

20. Island Time says:

Beautiful photos of gorgeous blossom. Still awaiting the apple blossom here, though the buds are just appearing. My favourite soft and creamy ones at the moment are the recently opened pear blossom, the pendulous clusters of maple blossom on the native trees and all the many subtle tints of pale spring green that have suddenly appeared on the bare skeletal limbs in the orchard and at the edge of the forest. What a fantabulous time of year! My only regret is how brief it all is!

I only realised how beautiful maple blossom is this year. Enjoy your pear blossom – ours is almost gone!

1. Island Time says:

Yes, I will thanks, I like to go and look deeply every day, to see the progress, and to look for the bees….it is a shame that the spring is so quick to pass us by.

Spring is precious, isn’t it? So much more changeable and different every year, compared with other years. We are certainly having a strange one this year! It is throwing every type of weather imaginable at us!

Liked by 1 person

Foliage and buds are so exciting at this time of the year. And apple blossom, don’t you just love it? And a girl can never have too many tulips.

Each year I remember how special apple blossom is. And it has interested me this year, my first year blogging, how special it is around the world. At least in North America, Europe, and perhaps where people have migrated and miss it.