Peach Fuzz

Sssshhhh…  I have to say that very quietly because even the words p-e-a-c-h f-u-z-z give my daughter the icks.

This is another installment in my bud fest.  If you want to catch up, here are the previous exciting episodes: Early Birds, The Dawn Chorus and Bursting Buds, The Ugly Duckling Becomes a Beautiful Swan and Cauliflorescence!

We have a good fruit set on our peaches.  Here is the tiny little fruit, looking half-cuddly and half-menacing.

IMG_4531
Peach set

You can also see little cherries.  The papery blossoms rub off cleanly in a very satisfying way, to reveal shiny little green beads of unripe fruit.  The cherries will get heavier, weighing down the stems, allowing them to elegantly dangle (two words I have never put together before).

IMG_4519
green cherries

You can also see pears swelling beneath the stamens of the spent blossom.  We will have to thin the fruit by at least a half, because the tree is always over-burdened.

IMG_4533
Pears with spent blossom

The damson is looking beautiful in the evening sun, the anthers lit up like filaments in a light-bulb.  Note the seed-fluff and spider-web silk too:

IMG_4513
Prunus insititia ‘Farleigh’ (damson)

The quince is almost, but not quite, out.  It reminds me of a meringue swirled with strawberry.  Or to be less sophisticated, an iced gem.  You know, the little bite-size biscuits from children’s parties?

IMG_4526

But my favourite might have to be the crabapple, Malus ‘Royalty’ (my guess) or ‘Prairie Fire’ (Stevie’s guess).  I think Stevie may be right.

img_7715

The star of last week’s installment is still looking lovely.  The little pink bunnies are all singing their hearts out:

IMG_4509
Cercis siliquastrum (Judas Tree)

Gathering steam are the lilacs, Syringa vulgaris.  First in bud:

IMG_4528
Syringa vulgaris ?’Emile Lemoine’

And then peeping out:

IMG_4529
Syringa vulgaris ?’Emile Lemoine’

I am looking for a positive id on this lilac if anyone is able to vouch for its identity?  We were lucky enough to inherit four different varieties of lilac.  I may have to write a separate post with them all.  I have just cut a few stems for the kitchen table and the fragrance is divine.

For the last couple of weeks, the walnut has stolen hearts, looking quite dapper.  I am sorry to say that standards are slipping.  A certain Devil-may-care, roughness around the edges has crept in.

IMG_4512

The lime retains its fresh-faced innocence:

IMG_4522
Tilia x europaea (common lime)

It is really lovely in the evening sun.

IMG_4521
Tilia x Europaea (common lime)

Acer drummondii is looking distinctly bat-like:

IMG_4523
Acer drummondii

Anaemic bats, but bats nevertheless.  Can you see the baby bats clinging to the lowest branch?

As the quince has not quite flowered in time for this post, I might just have to sneak another bud-watch post in next week.  There may be more fuzz.  Who knew there was so much to talk about with tree buds?

Are there any lilac or malus experts out there?  Can you help confirm the identify these two suspects?

You are going to be so busy come harvest time. But then maybe the birds will help you out….

1. Stevie says:

I’m afraid the birds will get all the cherries, and the squirrel will get the nuts!

G’day Stevie, good to hear from you. Maybe you could throw a bird net over to save some of the cherries?

These are very clever birds. They laugh in the face of a net.

2. Looks like a banner year for fruit!

I think it will be!

Sigh… so many lovely trees, and blossom, and fruit. I am now thinking about all those wonderful fruit pies in the autumn.

And JAM! How could I forget about jam.

4. Sam says:

I love to see the miniature versions of the fruit they will become. We have pears, gooseberries and greengages so far. Hoping for plenty of apples, too.
    PS My 16-yr-old son can’t abide peach fuzz either! Or velvet – he won’t come near me if I wear a velvet jacket 🙂

Yes, that’s what I love too. Those are brilliant choices of fruit to grow. I’m a bit funny with cottonwool.

5. Stunning photographs Ali! Every post is a delight to take in! The comparison of the maple leaves with bats is spot on. Even the babies!

Thank you so much, that makes me very happy!

Fun but you have to be quick. In this heat they won’t be buds for very long.

That’s true. Things are growing so fast now.

I’m still loving the cercis. And the walnut flowers give good value in an understated kind of way, don’t they.

I love lilacs – it’ll be a few more weeks before we see ours. Looks like you’ll be enjoying a fair share of fruit this season.

Yes, we are looking forward to a good harvest this year. A few of our trees were only planted a couple of years ago, so we haven’t let these ones crop before.