Darling Buds

In the gap between the end of the tulips and the start of the poppies and the peonies, we can bathe in the lush growth of May.

In February there was bare earth, just the odd clump of snowdrops.  The growth in March was ankle-high, with crocuses and primroses.  April, knee-high, with the tulips.

In May it takes off.  ‘Growth spurt’ is an understatement. I turn my back for a moment and the borders are waste-high in lush growth.  There are greens of every hue: lime-green, apple-green, mint-green.  Jades and blue-greens; rich burgundy and crimson too.

Every inch is filled, leaves fanning out to share the space, making the most of every drop of sunlight.  They seem to bounce off one another, radiating energy and exuberance.

img_7798
Rose Garden, beginning of May 2018

Every where you look, you are peering through new leaves and blossom.

img_7759
Apple blossom, beginning of May.

You can practically hear it growing, crackling with energy.

img_7825
Pulmonaria, crocosmia foliage and Geum ‘Hilltop Beacon’ in the Bright Border, Early May 2018

The tamed meets the wild, and boundaries blur.

img_7826
Centaurea ‘Jordy’, Euphorbia griffithii ‘Fireglow’ and Rosa ‘Thomas a Beckett’, Bright Border,  Early May 2018

There is a fluttering indecision: we are unable to decide where to alight next.

img_7761
Cabbage white butterfly on Erysimum ‘Bowles Mauve’ (perennial wallflower)

There are surprises every hour, as petals uncurl, burst into life.

img_7719
Centaurea ‘Purple Heart’ (Perennial cornflower)
img_7792
Allium hollandicum ‘Purple Sensation’ bursting bud
img_7797
Centaurea ‘Jordy’, newly opened
img_7817
Geranium himalayense ‘Gravetye’

There is movement.  Dancing, swaying in the breeze.

img_7706
Lamprocapnos spectablis ‘Alba’ (Lyre Flower, Lady-in-a-bath, Dutchman’s Breeches, Bleeding Heart, take your pick!)

There are waiting doves, sunning their backs.  We coo with them.

img_7820
Aquilegia ‘Hensol’s Harebell’ (Dove Flower, Columbine, Granny’s Bonnet)

There are sparkling jewels, held on coiling tendrils:

img_7766
Clematis macropetala ‘Purple Spider’

In the space of an hour, the textures and hues change.

img_7691
Geum ‘Hilltop Beacon’ in bud
img_7698
Geum ‘Hilltop Beacon’

Buds ripen, and swell.  There is so much to come.  A pregnant pause.

img_7692
Peony ‘Karl Rosenfield’ bud
img_7717
Peony ‘Callie’s Memory’ bud

1. There is something rather lovely about perennial cornflowers – they look quite delicate but are surprisingly robust. Lovely to see everything coming together now.

They are robust. And self-seed at just the right rate!

2. It’s interesting to see how far ahead with garden growth you are in comparison to further north. We’re still on the ankle deep just heading for knee-high now.

Even though you know it’s coming, there is a week where it all just astounds you!

Lovely! It’s interesting that your ‘Bowles Mauve’ is both less grey and more purple than mine.

It seems to vary a bit. I was convinced my mum’s wasn’t a ‘Bowles Mauve’ for the same reason. I think it might change as the season progresses, or flower spikes mature, or maybe varies in different soil/climate??

I suspect climate, because our climates sure are different!

4. Beautiful! We’re still in your equivalent of late March/early April, but we’re getting there.

It must be really lovely after your long winter.

I would really love to wander around your garden. I love the lush, rich verdant growth

Ah, it would be lovely to have a magical bloggers’ open garden.

6. So gorgeous! I especially love the peony. Your grounds look wonderful 🙂

They are going to be lovely. I will keep you posted!

7. Beautiful photos, Ive just bought a ‘bleeding heart’ for my garden, I love them but wasnt aware of the different names.

I am collecting common names for plants. There are so many!

1. Ill be looking out to learn more.

So much . Will there be any thing left for summer? I too would live to just visit.

If I have got my succession planting right, then they should keep on coming!

Gorgeous. The best time of the year without doubt. I just need it to slow down a bit, it’s happening so fast it’s making me dizzy.

It is incredible, isn’t it. There are some lupin buds that literally appeared yesterday and are now bigger than my finger, and I’m sure a clematis tendril stretched by a foot.

10. I love how you have captured these moments of things changing so drastically or two very different worlds colliding.

Yes, there is a sense of creative renewal. I love it.

I used to think April was my favourite month, but May is rapidly taking over. Everything is bursting out all over! Trees in every shade of green. Your garden looks soooo lovely. And you have so many plants!

I keep turning more lawn into planting space! I just did my morning stroll around the garden, and realised how long it takes compared with even a year ago, because there are so many more plants to look at. Which is lovely on a Bank Holiday Monday!

I only have a small garden and a smaller lawn, but there was no room for flowers when I moved in, so some of the lawn had to go. I might leave the rest as it is nice to have somewhere to go barefoot on and the daisies like it 😀

It is. One of the pleasures of summer to bounce on the grass and perhaps make a daisy chain!

12. Design+Grow says:

So glad Spring is finally here! We were driving home through the lanes today and everything was just idyllically beautiful, very much needed it!

I was saying this to my daughters this morning. Everywhere you look it is beautiful at the moment.