In a vase on Monday: Celebration

on

These are the flowers picked from the garden for our Royal Wedding Party on Saturday.

img_8220
Geum ‘Totally Tangerine’, Gladioli, Erysimum ‘Bowles Mauve’, Chives, Forget-me-nots.
img_8089
Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae, Centranthus ruber, Centaurea ‘Purple Heart’.
img_8083
Alchemilla mollis, Rosa ?’A Shropshire Lad’, Knautia macedonica and Centaurea ‘Jordy’
img_8087
Allium hollandicum ‘Purple Sensation’, Geum ‘Hilltop Beacon’ and Euphorbia amygaloides var. robbiae.

I had a lot of fun arranging them.

My daughters made this bunting:

And my lovely friend Clare leant me hers:

My equally scrumptious friend Shelley made this:

My eldest made these sweet little flags for the food:

Our friends made an incredible array of cakes, most of which I forgot to photograph (let’s blame the Pimms and Prosecco), except for this star-bake from Heather:

For those who read my post, My pledge not to buy new stuff, we didn’t use any plastic cups, plates or cutlery, thanks to generous friends bringing glasses and tea-sets on the day.

We had the essential ingredients for a good garden party: fabulous friends and family, children, dogs, bubbly, beer, bakes, bunting, babies and blue sky.

I won’t post the pics with people, as I haven’t asked permission, but here are a few of the garden.

img_8139
Allium hollandicum ‘Purple Sensation’
img_8215
Allium hollandicum, Geum ‘Hilltop Beacon’, and Rosa ‘Thomas a Becket’ behind
img_8214
Bright Border 19th May 2018
img_8182
Erodium manescavii

Thank you to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting In a vase on Monday, a meme where bloggers share blooms they have picked from their gardens.  Follow the link to see a vast array of beautiful arrangements.

What a perfect day and perfect garden you had for the wedding, Ali. Your borders are looking fab (to quote you) and I’m happy you had a lovely day. I watched it on TV until quite late!

2. What a stunning garden, so many flowers already in bloom.

What a perfect garden for a garden party and what a truly spledid affair the Royals put on. The Brits certainly know how to do pomp and pageantry

4. Your garden is a sensation! What a wonderful day you had and your arrangements are happy and glorious!

5. It looks like you had a lovely day! I love the flowers. They are Devine!

Thank you, Maiko.

6. pbmgarden says:

Beautiful vases and more. Your borders are fabulous.

Thank you, you are very kind!

Your garden is so full of colour already! Perfect for a garden party, though I managed to avoid THE wedding until the late news. Instead I went to look around a couple of local gardens. Mine is not the place to be right now. VERY noisy cattle next door…

Ah, I would love to have cows peering over the fence. I have long harboured a fanciful notion of having a Jersey cow. I could call her ‘Geranium’ [drifts off into rose-tinted fantasy wearing gingham and carrying milking stool…]

The reality is sadly very different… 😀
        But I like the name.

8. Sam says:

All lovely combinations and it looks like you have plenty of material to choose from in your gorgeous garden!

I was worried because everything is late, but then was surprised at how much I could pick.

9. Peter Herpst says:

Oh my, your garden, arrangements, and, everything look perfect for a special celebration with friends. What a delightful memory for all in attendance!

10. Gosh they should have had you doing the flowers at Windsor! Lovely arrangements – see you have my fave Geum Totally Tangerine too.

Beautiful….isn’t it grand that every thing is in bloom for the grand occasion.
    At 6:00 am we didn’t have a party.

No! I don’t think I would have felt like partying at that time!

12. Your garden looks lovely and must have been the perfect location for a wedding party. I did not watch it live but have seen lots of photos and some you tube videos. The cake is stunning. I’ve seen something similar with the American flag but your flag really takes the cake, as they say.

Thank you Linda! We say ‘takes the biscuit’ but ‘takes the cake’ is much more appropriate!

What a lovely party you must have had – and I like the way everyone was chipping in with different skills. A real community project 🙂 The range of posies in your vases make for a really inytersting selection – what a lot of material you ahve to choose from. And roses too! None out here yet, but I have spied clour on ONE bud! Thanks for sharing this celebration of all sorts of things

Thanks Cathy! It was lovely that everyone chipped in. I have talented friends!

14. A beautiful garden for a royal wedding party….I love all the decorations and that yummy cake…..all perfectly complemented by your arrangements….I especially love the orange and purple flowers.

I was watching the wedding at 7am our time so I was having coffee in my pajamas…what a treat!

I have developed a thing for purple and orange. They are my May colours.

15. Kris P says:

Based on the decorations alone, I can guess what a wonderful party you must have had! The wedding happened at 4am my time and I didn’t get up early enough to see it live but I watched taped coverage later that morning, with tears coursing down my cheeks. For some reason, I always cry at wedding, even when I don’t know the parties involved.

I am the same. I think it was all the more emotional for seeing her mum, and the journey Harry has been on, and all that Meghan stands for. But also just two people who love each other very much!

What a lovely day for a party. Your garden and arrangements look great! Your daughters are very talented, too. Chip off the old block. 🙂

Your garden looks fabulous and what a gorgeous day for a party. We went cycling and everywhere we went we could smell barbecues and hear people laughing. Your geums are wonderful and look great with the alliums. I have bought Lady Strathedan after seeing it on your blog. I like the way she grows so tall.

Cycling sounds like a perfect way to spend the day too. Lady Strath is lovely!

Wow, you certainly celebrated in style! Your garden looks lovely Ali, and so many flowers to cut for vases too. 🙂

Thank you, Cathy. X

19. I absolutely love this!!! Your garden celebration of Harry and Meghan could be a feature article in a magazine! I shared on my Facebook page, as I know so many people who would enjoy this. Americans go crazy for royal weddings (and royal babies), but we were particularly excited about Meghan!

She is a wonderful ambassador! We are very happy to adopt her! Love (and feel for) her mum.

20. Beautiful flowers and I love the bunting. What a lovely way to celebrate what was definitely one special day.

The bunting transformed the garden! I love it!