The View from a Sunlounger

Stevie and I had Saturday evening to ourselves. This is the view from our sunloungers.

We’re sitting under the lime tree, which Stevie has cunningly pruned so it has an umbrella-like canopy. In fact, like a living yurt.  If we sit in the shade, we can look through its hanging fronds.

We debated going out for dinner and then concluded we would rather eat in the garden.

The bright border is looking marvellous, even if I do say so myself. Here are Lupin ‘Gallery Red’, Peony ‘Kansas’ and spiky Crocosmia foliage:

Salvia nemorosa ‘Caradonna’ is here too. It goes with everything.

And here is the fabulous Geranium ‘Dragon Heart’. This has the biggest flowers of all the magenta geraniums, and the gothiest eye-lash veining. It shimmers in the sunlight.

Here is Peony ‘Karl Rosenfield’ with Geranium ‘Brookside’. The geranium is just starting to flower, and is all airy and light.

Here is a froth of Alchemilla mollis with Centaurea ‘Jordy’.  The Centaurea is going through its ‘Echo and The Bunnymen’ phase, with maximum quiff height.

I think this is Peony ‘Inspecteur Lavergne’, but I must confess I have got into a bit of a muddle with my magenta peonies.

Let’s not worry too much about names and just admire its sunlit glory. I love the shadows inside the flower.

At the end of the bright border is Thug’s Corner, which is even better when illuminated.

Now let’s turn around and get back to the sunlounger.

Oh, but Geranium ‘Anne Thomson’! She is spilling out onto the lawn, such is her floriferous generosity.

Here’s Peony working title ‘Inspecteur Lavergne’, catching the sunlight.  Euphorbia palustris is also enlightened.

And Salvia nemorosa ‘Caradonna’, looking dreamy.

And Peony whatshisname but we’ll go with ‘Kansas’.

I would recommend all three of these peonies, ‘Inspecteur Lavergne’, ‘Karl Rosenfield’ and ‘Kansas’.  All three deliver on rich and glorious colour.

If my unknotting of varieties is correct, then Karl and Kansas are more full and frilly, with a rounded bowl shape.  I think Karl is slightly more creamy and opaque.  Inspecteur is a cleaner magenta, more translucent and has more jagged petaloids.  He is my favourite.

Now, let’s just bask in it.  Stevie has very kindly brought me a Prosecco to go with my sunlounger and the evening sun.

What is that geranium (is it a geranium?) in thugs corner? Your thugs are so much nicer than mine!

Geranium magnificum. It suits its name, doesn’t it?

2. shazza says:

When you have such a marvellous garden, you have to make the most of it. 😁

3. I love the words and phrase you make up/include–“Echo and the Bunnyman Phase” (ha!) and “floriferous”. And those photos in which you capture sunlight streaming into your garden: amazing.

Floriferous is one of my favourite words!

Your bright border is glorious. Geranium ‘Dragon Heart’ is gorgeous! Definitely need the sunglasses. And the Prosecco.

‘Dragon Heart’ is really performing this year. It has always seemed a bit sparing in its flowering before – dotted with flowers but never this floriferous (there, got my favourite word in). But then I kept moving it, and it was probably a bit naffed off with me. I’ve left it alone this winter and it’s starting to trust me.

5. Heavenly!! Oooh it’s truly beautiful … I know how much work it must take to keep it looking so fabulous. I’m loving the greenhouse by the way! Katie xx

You can look inside it tomorrow!

Yes…dinner in the garden any time.

7. Your very own botanical garden! Great photographs showing off all those gorgeous plants. I was clearly sitting in the wrong sun lounger yesterday!

Glorious! Who’d want to leave that gorgeous scene?