A Rainbow of Roses

Yes, I did get carried away. No, I am not sorry!

OMG, it was fun!

It was Stevie’s fault really. I had collected five or six blooms and was getting him to sniff too, so we could compare ‘tasting notes’.

And Stevie said, “we should get the super-taster in.” Super-taster/Super-sniffer daughter helps Stevie identify wine faults in his home-made batches. She is surprisingly good. Glue, vinegar, rancid hazelnut, etc.

Then Stevie said “In facet, why don’t you pick a few more?  We can all try it.”

So you see it was his idea, really.

And once I started, I couldn’t stop.

Because I like this game so much, I took photos in smaller groups, in case you wanted to know varieties.

All roses are David Austin English roses, unless otherwise stated (in brackets).

1. The Plum-Purple Ones
img_9118
Clockwise from top left: Falstaff, William Shakespeare 2000, Sissinghurst Castle (Gallica), Tuscany Superb (Gallica), Munstead Wood.

It is interesting to see the size difference in the group above.  ‘William Shakespeare 2000’ is huge!  I love ‘Falstaff’s swirls. ‘Munstead Wood’ of course is practically perfect in every way! (See Portrait of a Rose).

2. The Crimson and Magenta Ones

img_9119
Clockwise from top left: Princess Anne, Charles de Mills (Gallica), Hansa (Rugosa), Reine de Violettes (Hybrid Perpetual) and Young Lycidas (in bud).

‘Charles de Mills’ has the most elegant swirl, doesn’t he?  But ‘Young Lycidas’ is fast becoming a favourite – unfortunately I could not find an open flower, but might write a future post on all my new roses. [The next day, he is looking deeper purple with a lovely papery texture. Gorgeous. ]

3. The Bright Crimson and Coral Ones

img_9124
Clockwise from top left: L.D. Braithwaite, Tess of the D’Urbervilles, Lady of Megginch (in bud – this will be huge once opened!), Benjamin Britten.

I love coral pink!  ‘Benjamin Britten’ is stunningly beautiful and has the most delicious fragrance.  The flowers fade quite quickly, and take on a vintage silk look.  ‘Lady of Megginch’ retains her colour, and has a much bigger flower.  She’s new, but set to be another treasure.

4. The Rich Pink Ones

img_9120
Clockwise from top: Madame Isaac Pereire (Bourbon), Royal Jubilee, England’s Rose, Wild Edric, Thomas a Beckett.

I don’t think of myself as being a particularly pink person, but then I see how many pink roses I have chosen!  They also tend to be highly fragrant.  ‘Madame Isaac Pereire’ has the deepest, strongest perfume of any rose I know.  If you sniff too hard you might lose consciousness!

5. The Peachy Pink ones

img_9121
Clockwise from middle left: Boscobel, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Jubilee Celebration, Mystery climber.

I love the delicacy of these peachy pinky ones.  And the petal formations are just gorgeous.  I also notice the shape of the petals in this group.  There are some really beautiful ripples.  ‘Princess Alexandra of Kent’ wins the prize for the most elegant flower shape.  I love the creaminess of ‘Jubilee Celebration’.

6. The Orangey Ones

img_9123
Clockwise from top left: Hot Chocolate, Lady of Shalott, Lady Emma Hamilton, Summer Song.

This is such a lovely warm bunch.  ‘Lady Em’ wins every time with her scent, her pinky peach tones, and her softly swirling flower shape.  But the others do come close.

7. The Yellowy Creamy Apricoty Ones

img_9107
Clockwise from top: Roald Dahl, Grace, Buttercup, ?Graham Thomas

This was another group where I really appreciated the flower form.  ‘Grace’ has lovely delicate notiching to the tips of the petals.  ‘Roald Dahl’ is a beautifully round peach.  ‘Buttercup’ is airy and open.

I tried to get a good bloom for each of the roses, but failed with ‘Princess Anne’ – unfortunately I picked all the nice ones the other day, and am left with an uncharacteristic small and asymmetric one.  ‘Thomas a Beckett’ and ‘Hansa’ are also a bit limp and overblown.

But otherwise I am happy with this selection.  It is fun to compare the very subtle differences in colour and flower form, and even petal shape.  For instance, Princess Anne: she has been put in the ‘Peachy Pink’ group, but she actually has a purple tinge to her pink, unlike the others in this group.

img_9116

I did spend a long time sniffing and comparing.  I think I can now identify a tea-rose scent.  I have noticed before that on the same plant there can be differences in scent strength and characteristics between blooms, at different times of day, and stage of maturity in the same bloom.

Please skip past this list if you have zero interest in scent, but I just thought I would list the official scent descriptions of these roses, as given in my David Austin ‘English Roses’ book.  The roses are listed in alphabetical order.

I have starred my favourites.  These make my eyes roll back into my head and I have to mutter a moan and then need a moment to compose myself.  (Ooh, I just did a good typo: “a moment to compost myself”.  No.  Not yet.)

Benjamin Britten: Intensely fruity; wine and pear-drops.  ***

Boscobel: Myrr, hawthorn, elderflower, pear, almond. **

Buttercup: Tea. *

England’s Rose: Old rose; strong, warm and spicy.

Falstaff: Rich old rose.  (I accidentally wrote this as “rich old age” in my note book!!) **

Grace: Warm and sensuous.  (?  Not getting this at all.)

Jubilee Celebration: Strong and fruity; a hint of lemon and raspberry. *

Lady Emma Hamilton: Strong!!!  Citrus and other fruits. ***

Lady of Megginch: Old rose and raspberry. *

Lady of Shalott: Tea, apple, cloves. *

L. D. Braithwaite: Not much scent until ageing, and then light old rose.

Munstead Wood: Old rose; fruity; blackberry, blueberry and damson. ***

Princess Alexandra of Kent: Tea rose, fading to lemon, then blackcurrant. **

Princess Anne: Tea *

Roald Dahl: Tea; leafy; dark fruit notes.

Royal Jubilee: Rich and fruity; blackcurrant. **

Summer Song: Crysanthemum leaves; hint of tea. *

Tess of the D’Urbervilles: Old rose. **

Thomas a Beckett: Old rose and lemon.

William Shakespeare 2000: Strong and warm, old rose. *

Wild Edric: I have no description of this in my book, but I say: Yorkshire Mixture, Voice Tablets, Aniseed Balls and cloves! ***

Young Lycidas: Pure tea, then tea and old rose; cedar wood. **

I don’t have official notes on the non-David Austin roses, but this is how I would describe them:

Charles de Mills: Old rose.  It is often described as having little scent, but I find it quite lovely. *

Hot Chocolate: This to me smells exactly like ‘Ambre Solaire’ suncream.  Which I love. **

Madame Isaac Pereire: Deepest most sensuous old rose. ***

Reine de Violettes: Old rose. *

Sissinghurst Castle: Sweet and spicy. *

Tuscany Superb: Old rose. Less fragrant than ‘Charles de Mills’ today.

We will to drink from mugs for the rest of the week, because I used all the glasses in the house.  The children kept rearranging the roses, and it was interesting to see how they felt the colours should gradate.

Colour, like scent, is subjective and intensely personal, which just adds to life’s rich tapestry.

We ended the day with Stevie’s pizza made in the pizza oven.  It was as delicious as the roses.

I think the roses look even more beautiful now they have been brought inside.  Their colours are even more subtle and complex out of direct sun.  They have opened out more each day, getting bigger and better, and releasing more scent.  Oh, I do love roses.

If you want to sign up for email posts, please click on the ‘Follow the Mindful Gardener’ button.  Your email address is not shared with any third parties, you can choose to unsubscribe at any point, and your data will be deleted.  See the Privacy Policy on the Home Page for more details.

So lovely and all so subtly different from each other.

Yes, and you only realise how different when you spend time with them.

2. Rupali says:

OMG, they are so beautiful!!!

What can I say? A cornucopia of wonderful shapes and shades. Are these really all from your garden? It must be looking just stunning at the moment.

The roses are at their peak. They won’t flower quite so much for the rest of the summer, so I am trying to make the most of them.

4. shazza says:

Maybe you can make the petals into perfumes ..or whatever one can do with rose petals! X

Yes, did you ever read the novel ‘Perfume’? [shudders – it got a bit grim]. I suspect I don’t have the temperament!

5. Anne Wheaton says:

Gorgeous coloiurs, especially when they’re grouped together. Your garden must smell divine.

It is a little theme park for the nose, right now.

6. myplaidheart says:

Boy, you really did take time to stop and smell the roses! They are so beautiful. I love the different names.

Nothing like roses to make me slow right down!

7. Penny Post says:

Like you I love roses, but I like to look at them just as they are starting to open out and sadly I can never smell anything.

They are lovely at that really fresh stage, aren’t they?

That is true dedication to a beautiful flower. Your garden must be a truly magnificent show place of colour and perfume. A bower of beauty.

9. Christina says:

They all look amazing, and I’m not even particularly a rose lover.

10. March Picker says:

A fragrant, gorgeous rainbow! I’m amazed all of these grow so beautifully in your garden. This game sure beats Monopoly any day of the week! Keep breathing in the rainbow.

11. Sharon says:

All gorgeous and I love the way you have recreated the colour with roses!

Thanks Sharon. The roses do make it easy!

You have 30 roses? OMG how amazing. And each and every one is beautiful though I love the shape of Grace and Jubilee Celebration. What a wonderful post Ali. What a wonderful garden!

Yes. That does make me feel greedy. Still, there are worse addictions, aren’t there? Grace and Jubilee Celebration do have especially sculptural shapes.

You have the space, why not! I am just slightly envious. Though to be honest although I love seeing and smelling roses, I do find them a lot of hassle to look after. Even the modern ones need dead-heading and pruning. I want low maintenance plants in my life now!

Yes, I think I find them straightforward because I have so many of one thing that all need the same treatment. So when it’s pruning time, I just get on and do them all, whereas my few Clematis drive me nuts because I can’t remember which ones need pruning when.

Yes! They should all wear labels around their necks. My new clematis has been eaten – not sure what by: slugs, ear-wigs or possibly caterpillars. I am finding them in the garden now including a very fat hairy one today!

13. FlowerAlley says:

I loved this. You have a child’s heart…so do I.

14. M.B. Henry says:

Wow!!! That looks like fun! 🙂 And it gave you some nice pictures too!

I do like to play!

15. Haha! That looks great fun Ali! you have so many roses….not jealous moi!
    🙂

Once you start…

16. Oh what Beauty you share and spread!

17. Island Time says:

What a gorgeous collection of beautiful roses! Glorious!

18. Oh, what fun! And such a beautiful post!

Thank you, Michele.

19. I’m swooning over these roses, Ali; I must add some! I’ve grown some of the ones you featured and totally agree with your descriptions of scent and color. Wonderful post!

20. Unbelievable! What a collection! I really enjoyed getting to see so many of your roses.

This is marvelous, Ali, and what a great record for you (and us!) to keep and refer back to. Every glass, bottle and vase in the house, lol!

That’s nice to hear. I did struggle to find good images of some of these roses when I was choosing between them. Glad to be of service!

22. Jill Kuhn says:

Oh, I am so in LOVE with your colors of your roses!! A feast for the artist in me… I’m trying not to drool! Lol! 🤣 I love how each rose has its own shape and scent and color. I wish I could smell them too! 👍💕❤️ Thank you Ali for sharing your love of roses and I’m glad you went all out!! 🌹

They are surprisingly different from one another. I love keeping them in individual jars on the table and observing the same flower over a few days. You feel you get to know it much better!

23. Sam says:

How lovely to see all the beautiful colours and forms like this and to have scent descriptions. Very clever. We’re slowly building up the rose population in our garden but I doubt we’ll ever have as many as you do. You don’t have any white roses, though – is that on purpose?

I don’t know, Sam. I suppose I made a bright border first, so white didn’t belong there. I considered some whites for my rose garden, but then none made the final cut. I do absolutely love ‘Madame Hardy’ though, and keep thinking I could just make a little space somewhere…

24. Thank you for bringing all these beautiful roses into my life today. It’s a cloudy day were I live and you just brightened it.

That is such a lovely thing to say. Thank you.

Lovely to find another rose fanatic, they are my passion. And what a great idea to pick one of each and enjoy them like this. You are clever at finding words for their fragrance. Do you have problems with black spot on the bourbons and hybrid perpetuals.

I have only just planted the Bourbon, ‘Mme Isaac Pereire’ so not sure. I don’t think the Hybrid Perpetual ‘Reine de Violettes’ has had blackspot, at least not to the extent that you start noticing it. I read on Sarah Raven that planting Salvia x jamensis near a rose helps to prevent blackspot. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I am growing a couple near roses, so will see…