Phloxy Lady?

Last week I posted about Phlox paniculata ‘Coral Flame’ in Boring…  But then I felt guilty for leaving out the equally fabulous ‘Purple Flame’, so I thought I would give her a post of her own too.

Here she is, with ice-cream swirl buds just bursting.

_7070045
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

There are lovely tones of blue-lilac, but with pink-magenta in on the long neck of the flower, and in the shadows of the swirl.

_7070046
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

Although phlox has impact with its floriferous explosion, it is also lovely close-up.  It has subtlety too.

_7070049
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

I thought I might try to show the way the buds are folded.  Here they are, one slightly more open than the other (admire too their hairy throats!)

_7070050

And, excusing my dirty fingernails, here is how they open…

_7070052

_7070053

So simple.  Beautiful engineering.

_7070056
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

Another curious thing about this phlox is that in the morning, she is very definitely blue-purple.

_7070057
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

But as soon as she gets some sun on her, she takes on a magenta-purple glow.

P7120065
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

And by afternoon it is as if she has a inner source of light.  She is enlightened, emblazoned, empowered.

P7120042

They die down to a cool glow of an evening.

P7120044
Phlox paniculate ‘Purple Flame’

Phlox are self-supporting, hardy, low-maintenance creatures. They wear their imperfections without shame.

P7120045

They can look a bit battered and often bear scars on their petals, but don’t we all?

P7120049
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

The old flowers shrivel, and make way for the next generation.

P7120048
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

My aim on this site is to share the sense of wonder I get from gardening and being outdoors.

If you would like to join the joy, click on the ‘Follow’ button at the end of this post. You will receive an email each time I post a little pop of wonder.

I love the way those phlox change colour during the day, and also the cup of tea analogy. Education has come a long way!

I really liked the cup of tea analogy. It kind of brings into focus the weirdness of the behaviour, doesn’t it?

2. Love how you show the variation in colour over the course of the day!

It is a really striking colour change; I am glad I managed to capture it.

3. I have this phlox in my front garden, but when I was weeding yesterday, I noticed the deer had eaten all but a few of the blooms off 😦 Have a nice weekend Ali!

Oh deer! I would love to see deer, but I’m guessing this is the down side!

That is so amazing how the colour changes during the day. Very observant of you Ali, and well captured in your photos

Thank you, Pauline!

Phlox…such a simple but beautiful addition to any garden. As for the cup of tea…I sometimes wonder what are the teaching our children?But then I remember my dear friend,an older lady, who explained to her children and their friends that sex is like a fire. Just close enough to be warm but too close and you get burned.

6. fredgardener says:

Still going to make the montage of my time lapse of flowering. Will post it soon!

I adore your names for your flowers! And this is a perfect one for my newly conceived idea of a purple border (influenced by a recent garden visit). I once saw ‘Phlox of Sheep’ and thought I had to have them, until I found out they are pastel colours. I don’t really do pastel.

Oooh, I like the sound of a purple border. Love the name of that phlox! Yes, I am only just warming to pastels – I always preferred brights. But so long as there are some dark colours too, I can handle a few pastels now!

That might be the way to go. Actually my planting is very ad hoc still. I might have got the hang of this plot in about 10 years time!