Dead Moth

I found a dead moth in the window.  I couldn’t help myself. The burgeoning lepidopterist in me had to take photos.

P7150130

Look at his furry head.

P7150134

His body reminds me of a lobster or a langoustine.

_7150040

I looked it up in my book, and I think it is a ‘White Ermine’, Spilosoma lubricipeda.  Ermine moths have ‘cryptic patterns’ on their forewings.  This looks like chromosome banding patterns.  That’s quite cryptic.

_7150045

Can you see the fringe at the edge of the wings?

P7150129 b

He has such a sweet little snout.

P7150135

And a slight look of surprise.

P7150136

And there is no way I would have been able to see his curled up tongue if I didn’t have my macro lens.

My aim on this site is to share the sense of wonder I get from gardening and being outdoors.

If you would like to join the joy, click on the ‘Follow’ button at the end of this post. You will receive an email each time I post a little pop of wonder.

P7150137b

1. Stevie says:

Do you know it was a male, or is this just linguistic gender-bias?

You’ve got me, Stevie. I have many skills, but sexing a moth is not one of them. He looks a bit Ziggyish, doesn’t he?

That macro lens is amazing. White ermine is such a suitable name for this handsome chap.

3. shazza says:

He is lovely. I have seen the catterpillars but never the moth. X

4. Penny Post says:

Amazing what a difference a macro lens makes isn’t it.

It is. Opens up a whole new world.

This is funny Ali – I found one in my bedroom this week and I also took photos of it with my macro lens. I didn’t for some reason take photos of the underside and mine has more patterns on its wings. I did think it looked as if it was wearing an ermine cloak, so thank you for the ID – most appropriate. I got one photo of one antenna (the other had broken off) and it looks like a comb. I shall have to post a couple of photos so you can see.

Ooh yes please!

Just about to post it.

6. Such a beauty. I especially love the face, it’s not often we can appreciate their features. Macro lens really is nice. 😘💗

7. Looks like a sweet chap, Too bad he’s dead.

Good photos but …sorry for the moth.Wonder what happened?

Not looking at Ziggy…

9. If a male, he probably died in a state of euphoric bliss after mating. If female she would have to lay her eggs first. A short life, but a sweet one!!

Thank you Belinda! Is this the life cycle for most moths and butterflies?

10. He’s actually pretty cute and fluffy! I love the fringing on his wings … looks like something I’d like on a cushion or scarf!

It is amazing how many of these textures resemble home furnishings!!

1. Absolutely! The Arty Plantsmans latest (I think) post included some pictures of the most beautiful white and blue flowers Hyacynthoides arisidis or something like that! I LOVE them and would have them as fabric, wallpaper, a dress … anything. Nature is completely beautiful. X

Ooh. New fun. If you could wear a flower, what would it be. Tonight I’m wearing Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’.

3. Ooohhh I like this! I’d be wearing Tulip ‘Queen of the Night’ … all slinky and sultry (until I fall over the hem and land on my face 😂)

11. Lovely photos. We have something in common; I saved a tired bee today with sugar water but also took my camera with me for macro pictures while she was drinking. The bee did fly away luckily.

Ooh, I look forward to the pics! I saw the most enormous bumble bee today, and a stripy fly I didn’t recognise, but was in a hurry picking flowers to take to a friend and didn’t allow myself to pick up my camera as I was already late!!

1. The whitetailed can get really large and there is a hover fly that is around this time of year that it superhuge

I will try to observe them a bit more and get to know the difference. So many creatures, so little time!

12. Very Unusual. I find a lot in my loft that have met a similar end but dont think id be so brave as to photograph them. Ill leave that up to you.

It was thankfully not flapping!

1. I was trying to get one out of my bedroom the other night as I couldnt bear the thought of it flapping around me. It was quite a feat!