Oasis

I got home at about 8pm last night.  The low sun was illuminating the peach tree and the cutting patch.

P7190156

It struck me how the raised beds are like an oasis in the middle of the parched lawn.  You can see how the moisture from the beds has kept the grass immediately near them green, whilst further out it is a dry and crispy desert.

I didn’t waste the opportunity to call this post ‘Oasis’.  Oasis (the band) remind me of the summer I graduated from Leeds University, when every student bedroom in LS6 had an open window from which ‘Wonderwall’ was playing.

It is somewhat gratifying that my children listen to Oasis and think that they are cool.  This also goes for The Jam, The Smiths, The Cure, Blur, Radiohead and Muse.  They either don’t realise that this music is twenty or thirty years old, or they just don’t care.  That is how cool they are.

I applaud this.  I had to secretly like Carol King and Kate Bush.  My eldest daughter and Stephen argue over whether Queen are cool.  Guess who thinks they are?  The fourteen year old.

So, keeping to the Oasis theme, this is my dedication to (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

The Zinnias and the Dahlias have packed the stadium.

P7190155

Nicotiana are finding the daytime heat too much, and their flowers only open when the sun is off them.  They are night owls, drinking well into the early hours, and then sleeping it off during the day.  Come the evening, it’s

Hello, Hello, It’s good to be back, it’s good to be back…

P7190153

These purple ones are look slightly worse for wear, but still a little bit glitzy.

_7160041
Nicotiana ‘Sensation’

And these ones have fallen over in a heap.  But that doesn’t matter, because we’re all good friends here.  No brotherly fisticuffs in my garden.

_7160042

I am still waiting for Scabious to put in an appearance. But,

You gotta roll with it; you have to take your time, you have to say what you say, don’t let anybody get in your way…

P7190152

P7150124 (2)

I seem to have a three-headed bud here, or is this just a bad trip?

P7150122

Dahlias are fantastic when they are belting it out, but I also love them when they are feeling contemplative.  When they are having an acoustic moment.

Back beat, the word is on the street that the fire in your heart is out,

_7150110

I’m sure, you’ve heard it all before, but you never really had a doubt,

P7150103
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’

I don’t believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you now…

_7150113

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding

P7070100
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’

There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don’t know how

P7150106
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’

Because maybe
You’re gonna be the one that saves me
And after all
You’re my wonderwall

P7070099
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’

The snapdragons are looking shimmery and velvety in their lounge suits.

_7150094

Slip inside the eye of your mind, don’t you know you might find, a better place to play.

_7160044

You said that you’d never been, but all the things that you’ve seen, slowly fade away.

P7150102

So I’ll start a revolution from my [flower] bed
‘Cause you said the brains I had went to my head
Step outside, summertime’s in bloom

_7150095

Stand up beside the fireplace, take that look from off your face
‘Cause you ain’t ever gonna burn my heart out

Zinnias have been a bit of a revelation this year.  They love the heat and the sun, and don’t seem to need much water.

P7070107
Zinnia ‘Queen Red Lime’

Some might say that sunshine follows thunder…

P7070102
Zinnia ‘Cupid Mixture’

Each bloom goes on getting higher and higher…

How many special people change
How many lives are living strange
Where were you while we were getting high?

P7070101
Zinnia ‘Cupid Mixed’, fizzing.

Some day you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky

P7150138

Cause people believe that they’re
Gonna get away for the summer
But you and I, we live and die
The world’s still spinning round
We don’t know why
Why, why, why, why

[Repeat to fade]

P7150139

Thank you to my eldest daughter, who arranged these flowers.  You see how cool she is?  Twenty-year-old music and flower-arranging!

Do you have an album which takes you back to a particular summer?  Do you share any favourite bands with your children or [shudder] your parents?

1. Nice theme, well executed. Definitely on the right track

Thank you Derrick.

Great post (again) Ali. I didn’t really share musical taste with my parents, but my Dad did with me (Early Rolling Stones which puts me in a certain age group!) and our children do with us, mostly old stuff they’ve come to like as they got older themselves.

Yes, I definitely did that: started re-discovering music that my mum and dad played through my childhood. And I love my kids introducing me to new music; I remember really tentatively sharing stuff with my mum or dad and being really pleased if they liked it, though of course I would never have admitted that either!

3. Stella Stokes says:

I just love your blog,thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad

Thanks so much Stella; it is lovely to hear that.

4. Penny Post says:

Lovely pictures, I’m afraid I don’t share your love of Oasis although I too did my first degree in Leeds but at Leeds Polytechnic as it was then known. We used to moan that going into uni the university students had filled the buses so they went sailing by us full, mind we got our own back going home. It’s ages since I’ve had Nicotiana in my garden I planted some in one of my very first gardens. I tend to find I pick up a liking for new bands from my daughter and then she decides they are no longer cool.

The Poly Bop (?that was what it was called, wasn’t it?) was way better than anything the University ever had to offer! Yes, I like getting an insight into my daughters’ tastes too. It is really interesting finding out what they are drawn to.

5. I would never share my music with my parents, but my daughter enjoys and knows many of the old tunes I love.
    Your nicotiana is beautiful with the colors mixing together.

That is lovely. I do think it’s important not to dismiss their tastes, or they won’t share the good music they find! I love the feeling of warmth I get when listening to my mum’s favourites.

6. susurrus says:

Wonderful light for your (What’s the Story) Evening Glory tribute. The picture of nicotiana in the raised beds with the scabious at the front was so sensational, I had to get out my laptop to see it more closely than I could on my iPhone.

I tried to share my music as a teenager with my parents, selecting the mildest, most laid back possible 20 min long track from an extensive collection as background music one Sunday lunch. I don’t think they managed anywhere near 20 mins before complaining and turning it off. Their music never did much for me either!

Thank you! Yes, I’m quite partial to a blast of loudness, which is handy for sharing teenage tastes.

7. sgeoil says:

I loved (still do) my parent’s music, the big band era. I’m not sure they loved my music; , Neil Young, Carol King, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp..the list could go on! I was really touched when my son was MC at a school musical event a number of years back and he shared how he was pleased that his parents had exposed him to great music growing up! I had no idea…We continue to share music back and forth, some I love, some I don’t!

Your post got me thinking about how parents/children influence each others plantings. I’ve started planting Hydrangea because of my remembrance of my mother’s love of the plant. Your daughter’s arrangement is beautiful!

That is lovely about what your son said! I grow hydrangea because my gran grew it.

I might be going off you Ali. Kate Bush? All that caterwauling? I grew up listening to the pop music of the sixties as a young child (my eldest brother is 7 years older than me) but found my own style(s) later. Motown was a favourite as a young teen, heavy metal as a late teen. I don’t recall my parents ever listening to music apart from what was on the radio. My ex introduced me to the Blues and Jazz. My children to Indie bands and Trance, Jack Johnson, Paolo Nutini. I’m still drawn to the old guys – Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, some of Robert Plant’s new stuff.

You have impressively eclectic tastes, Jude. I can’t tempt you with a bit of ‘Wuthering Heights’?

You make walking through the garden alot of fun. The flowers are beautifully arranged by your daughter.

She has a really good eye.

All that music is cool in my opinion. I have a real soft spot for snapdragons, too.

You can’t beat zinnias and how they are enjoying all this sun. Love them. Dahlias too are looking fabulous right now. I have Walzing Mathilda, it’s so pretty. Love Nicotiana when it can bring itself to smile. Ali, your photos get better and better. Superb.
    But Oasis? Really?

12. Christina says:

I smiled when I read that Zinnias love the heat – well of course they do but they do need water when it is as hot as it is in my garden. The irrigation to my Zinnia bed isn’t working so I have to water with a hose every 2 days; well I missed a day and this evening when I went to check them; they were limp and wilting, I’ve never seen them like that before.

Oh no! I won’t neglect mine, then!

13. Oh, these gorgeous colors! Marvelous post, Ali.

14. This is such a cool, creative post, Ali! I loved how you weaved these pictures into the “Wonderwall” song! I love that song but didn’t know who sang it. I have been listening to it on repeat for the last ten minutes now :).

That’s brilliant! Morning Glory is a fabulous album.