Basking in the glow of a beautiful friendship

On Saturday I had a visit from a special friend.  It had been hastily arranged a few days ago.  She now lives overseas, so this was very exciting.

_7220068
A good friend makes you feel like a firework display when they say they are coming to visit.

We met twenty years ago when we were both training to become Speech and Language Therapists.  I remember coming out of one of our first lectures and this curly-haired, smiley person bouncing up to me and asking me if I was from Yorkshire, because she was too.  We were both full of excitement for living in London.  For the next few years if we fancied an art exhibition, a night at the opera, a visit to an obscure museum, an unusual eatery (Garlic restaurant, anyone?) a cycle ride from London to Brighton, busking, a mini triathlon, or travelling to Indonesia, then we were up for it.

Helenium 'Moerheim Beauty' with Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight'
A good friend lights up your life with their ideas and inspirations.

I encouraged L to talk to the person who is now her life partner.  She was my bridesmaid and is unofficial godparent to my children.  We both emigrated, to different continents.  She visited me in Australia and was a steadfast friend through my choosing to leave my marriage.

_7220110
A good friend lifts you up and encourages you.

We have laughed together, cried together, worried, wondered, wandered, wobbled and worked it all out together.

She has my back and I have hers. She knows all my faults and all my foibles, and loves me just the same, as I do her. In fact I love her all the more for them, because it allows me to be exactly who I am with her.  Together we shine.

_7220107
A good friend allows you to be your most authentic self.

Do you have long-distance friendships that mean the world to you?  What changes have your friendship seen through the years?

1. Christina says:

Great friendship is meeting after a long separation and starting a conversation as if it just continued from the day before. Very special.

It is, Christina. x

2. Beautifully written. I am at the age when I am outliving my older friends. I do have one from 1972 who lives less than a mile away. We met in London, lived near to each other in Nottinghamshire for years, and now both live where he grew up in the New Forest area.

I can’t imagine this yet, Derrick, but it must be really hard. I have lost friends to car accidents, and one to breast cancer, and that was terrible. I suppose I am conscious that my oldest friends share memories that no one else does, and I love to be reminded of things I had almost forgotten, but come back to me when they talk about them. Time is weird, isn’t it?

1. That is what our oldest friends mean to us. We still retain memories after they have gone.

3. A terrific post Ali. I left a lot of good friends behind in Scotland but we still light up when we meet.

That is very special, isn’t it? I do think that roots are important.

Ali, I so enjoy reading your posts when I dip into them. The way you write really resonates with me and of course your photographs are delightful too. I have finally got round to officially ‘following” (no stalking involved!) you and apologise for not doing it sooner – my loss, of course

Thanks Cathy; that is lovely to hear, and I am glad you are around!

I have a few long distance friends, including one I’ve known since I was ten. I might not see them for a number of years, but when we see each other, we can pick up from exactly where we left off. I like the way you ‘said it with flowers’. Perfect!

That is the real test, isn’t it? Friendship is timeless and ageless.

6. sgeoil says:

Lovely post. Made me think of my best friend, we’ve been friends since I was 3 and she 4 and have known each other for over a half a century…won’t be exact! . We only see each other every few years and it is as if we’ve been living across the street all these years!

That is gorgeous! So special!

Picking up where the story left is a wonderful experience. For some reason I seem to be short of this at this time.
    More beautiful flowers..Just perfect form and color.

Friendships can ebb and flow, can’t they?

8. Nice post. I have friends, and even a few cousins, who live far and I’ve always wished we lived closer. Whenever we chat, we connect right away. It’s a gift.

It is a gift; that is a perfect word.

9. Beautifully written, I’ve known my closest friend since we were six and seven respectively, and no matter how far apart we’ve lived, worked, studied or travelled, we’ve never lost contact and it’s always like no time at all has passed when we see each other. 😊

10. A great, heartfelt post for a true friend! I love how you chose garden and/or flower photographs to illustrate your points. I have to ask, what is busking? As a “yankee” I do not remember ever hearing that word! I have a couple special friends like what you describe. The most recent friend I had move away some years ago now. We shared stories about our families as our children grew up, had the pleasure of watching them in theater productions together, and supported each other through emotional ups and downs. She is a good listener, as I hope I am for her. We keep in tough through out blogs, and an occasional text, or word with friends game. I miss her more than I thought I would. I know that when I see her again, we will just pick up where we left off!

Busking is performing music or some sort of street performance! They vary in quality!!

1. Thanks for letting me know! I love words and their meanings!

11. I love this celebration of friendship. I have several friends that I have been friends with for over a decade. We went through grad school together, and we’ve seen each other at just about our worst. Those friendships mean so much!

I think that is when friendships tip into family.

A good friend is more precious than gold and just as rare. A wonderful gift!

Very true, Eliza. x

13. susurrus says:

This post resonated – my sweetheart and I live in different countries so we both have friends and family we don’t see for part of the year.

Aw…it does make you appreciate these relationships all the more.

14. Nicky says:

There are special people in our lives, I’m grateful for mine.

15. Louisa says:

Wow I would like to send this to a very dear but recent friend. It’s written so beautifully with stunning photos. Thank you

16. Every year I make a road trip to California where I lived for most of my life. Some of the friendships go back almost 30 years. It’s a great feeling to have friends with whom you truly can be yourself and they with you.
    Wonderful post Ali! 💖

Thank you; it is lovely to have you as a reader.

1. My pleasure! Your blog has become a favorite of mine. Every post is wonderfully told and enhanced with your marvelous photographs!