Infatuation

It is easy to think that the garden has done what it is going to do this summer.  We can only deadhead spent blooms and keep things watered, and continue to keep things going into autumn.

And then it does this!

P7300118
Gladioli flower bud

Which very quickly become this:

P7310165
Gladioli ‘Black Star’ in bud.

And then they do this!

P7300114
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

And you just can’t stop trying to capture it in a photo.  Because you absolutely must capture the luscious silky petals.

P7300117
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

They are like the smoothest, creamiest blackcurrant sorbet you ever put in your mouth.

P7300119
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

Sometimes you peer into their depths and get vertigo.

P7300121
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

Sometimes you are transfixed by the iridescence.  You touch the the soft nap of the petals, and what it would feel like to wear a dress made out of it.

P7310167
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

You focus on the purple of the stamens. It might occur to you how similar they are to Crocosmia.

P7310168
P7310169
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

You visit it in the morning as the first sun’s rays hit it.  You enjoy the slight translucence to the petals and the shadows thrown by one petal upon another.

P8020206
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

You appreciate its strong spine.  It is a pebble rubbed smooth.  There are milky tones of blue, turquoise and plum.

P8020209
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

Just when you thought you’d taken all the photos you could, you visit at a different time of day, and the texture has changed!  The light is catching it differently.  Now it is like a skein of silken threads.

P8030328
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

When you’re there, you notice how each flower is nestled under the one above.

P8030331
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

And how this light is bringing out the darker tones, like velvet.  And how elegant that curve is as the petal swoops over.

P8030332
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

You marvel at the cupping of one petal cone inside another.  And the creamy green Beautiful Bokeh behind!

P8030334
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

You vow to just take one more photo.  Just the one.  No more.

P8030335
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

But I do just wonder what it might look like with the blue sky as the background?

P8030336
Gladioli ‘Black Star’

Have you ever had an obsession with one plant or flower in the garden?  How did it end?

If you have enjoyed this post, then you might like others on this website. Let your fingers take a wander.

You might want receive a little pop of wonder every time I post. Click on the big ‘follow’ button at the bottom of this page.

If you know someone else who might enjoy my world, you can also share the post via the usual social media channels, and via email.

The world is an amazing place and there are so many sensory pleasures that go unnoticed.  Love trumps hate. Let’s make social media a lovely place to play.

Superlative, irresistible descriptions, yes please just one more, go on and another……. they will not last forever, but in a photo they live forever

I’m glad you liked them, Pauline.

2. Beautiful as ever. The changing light is so valuable

It is surprising, the difference it makes.

Obsession? No, really? Love the iridescence that so many flowers have, but go unnoticed unless you get in really close. Do you have to stake your glads Ali? I suspect they wouldn’t last long in my windy patch.

No, I am really lazy with staking. They’ve got a bit of a lean on after the heavy rain today!

4. john smith says:

I havent seen any photos of Tithonia or Verbenia Rigida in your garden Ali – may I suggest you try them if you havent already (but I suspect you already know all about them).

I do have Verbena rigida, but I tend to neglect it actually – I should go and take a look! I’ve grown Tithonia once; I should grow it again. I do love the velvety texture and the iridescence of that too!

5. Stunning photos Ali! I’ve never grown gladioli, but my Grandfather did and they always remind me of him. He was an amazing gardener, and could, and did, grow anything and everything.

They seem quite easy for me – I planted these corms a few years ago and they come back again each year.

6. I love Gladiolus and have for a very long time. Unfortunately, I never have much luck growing them here. I think my heavy clay soil wrecks havoc on the bulbs (corms or tubers, whatever they might be). Your photos are gorgeous. I especially like the second one from the end with the purplish stamens!

The purplish stamens make it, don’t they?

Take your pick…they are all beautiful.

8. This gladioli is something else – you’ve captured its beauty so well across its development. Yes I think you’re right one flower can be a focus. thank you for such stunning photographs. Bec

Thank you Bec. I am glad you enjoyed this.

9. I love watching the cycles of my white orchid. For years, it has bloomed and gone into its dormant period over and over. Fascinating. I loved your post. So lovely to be brought into the world of a flower.

10. I finally planted a few gladioli this year. Watching them grow and slowly unfurl one blossom at a time makes me wonder why I haven’t grown them before! Your photos are beautiful and really show off this beautiful plant!

They are incredibly easy, aren’t they? I am tempted to grow more next year.

1. They are! I have to confess that they came mixed into a package of bulbs so I had to plant them. 😉

11. Rupali says:

Such a lovely sequence of beauty.

12. Its like fine silk and the color is gorgeous. You captured its show perfectly. 💗💗