Mischief Managed

We just had a lovely day out.  I can persuade our daughters to enjoy a garden visit if there is a) cake or b) the beach at the end of it.  Today it was b).

We visited The Salutation in Sandwich, and ended up in Broadstairs, much as we did in A Grand Day Out a couple of months ago.

This garden inspires adventure.

_8150198

These might be stegosaurus spines behind the dahlias.

_8150199

It is as lush and jungly as Dixter (see my previous post, Into the Jungle), but with a more islandy feel.  It’s as if we are spotting these shores from a canoe.

_8150200

_8150201

We swam ashore and started exploring the flora and fauna.

P8150054

P8150055

P8150057

We weren’t sure if this was dangerous.

P8150065

P8150066

The colours were incredible.

P8150078

P8150079

P8150080

P8150081

We all followed our noses, indulging our senses, calling to one another, meeting and parting again.

_8150208

P8150086

P8150088

P8150092

There was so much to explore!  Things to touch, see, smell…

P8150095

P8150093

Knowing my dahlia fetish, the girls called me over when the found a particular delicacy.

P8150097

P8150102

_8150210
Dahlia ‘Labrynth’

I thought I’d died and gone to heaven with that last one.

_8150212

We meandered over to the perennial borders.

_8150132

At least I did.  The girls got slightly waylaid by the mulberry tree.

_8150131

I like peeking though flowerbeds.  Seeing gardeners at work.

P8150137

P8150156

They’re still there.

P8150134

Mulberries are the best of fruit.  They have a meaty, savouriness alongside the wicked juiciness.  I did join in with a bit of mischief here.

_8150211

Then there were a few cartwheels.  There has to be cartwheels.

P8150142

P8150143

Whilst I enjoyed a bit more ‘looking through’.

P8150147

P8150161

P8150148

Oh look, a tiny bit more mischief.

P8150151

I love this arrangement of pots.  Thankfully no mischief here.

P8150162

We made our way past the lavender walk.  My eldest told me to take a photo here.

P8150166

Onto the trial beds of dahlias.  I lost them again here.

_8150183

I liked this free spirit.

P8150188

When I visit a garden with just one of the children, we chat all the way around.  When I visit a garden with the three of them, they chat, spin, dance, sing, climb, crawl, cartwheel and weave their way around.  I catch glimpses, hear snatches, just get a whiff of the mischief going on.

_8150213

Which is the way it should be.

I promise, another post is coming with all the gorgeous dahlia photos.  If you don’t want to miss a post, then you can click the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of this page and you will receive an email when I publish a new post.

Ah, mischief making – those were the days! And what a lovely garden it was made in…

It is one of my favourites.

2. Inspirational garden well photographed and described

Thank you Derrick.

It is a lovely garden and full of so many interesting plants and colours. Love the way you show us glimpses of the family without showing them at all. And nothing like a garden visit followed by the beach. And an ice-cream 🙂

I am enjoying blurry figures in the background!

4. Beautiful photos Ali! Looks like you all had your fill of mischief, but I like your kind the best.

5. Love the title! And love those dahlias. It was a visit to The Salutation that inspired me to grow red Honkas! A great garden.

I need a red Honka!!

Can’t …yes I do.wait for the next installment but this was a fun trip.I need a mulberry tree

Unfortunately they take a few years to fruit!

Well that is backward. I need a mulberry tree…yes I do.

I’d love to visit this garden, thanks for the tour.

9. The only time I’ve come across gardeners working away during tours is on visits to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, B.C., Canada. Your zinnias and dahlias (or the ones you saw on this tour) are gorgeous and remind me I’d forgotten to plant any this past spring in my English perennial beds. Next year.

10. Robyn Haynes says:

What a wonderful day in that spectacular garden. If there were cartwheels then at least they weren’t protesting they were bored.

11. I felt like I was walking round with you. Fantastic and emotive!

12. Lovely as ever. Your descriptions of canoeing and the stegosaurus are so original and evocative. Must catch up on all your posts I’ve missed while I’ve been away

13. I love the bee pictures in this one, and I also loved the photos in which the flowers in the foreground were crisp and clear and the people in the background were a little blurry. That was a really nice juxtaposition.

That delighted me too Shelly. I feel a little uncomfortable posting pics of people, especially children, so this is a good solution!

1. That completely makes sense. I have that same thing–I post so many pictures to social media, but I rarely do it of people because it just feels like an invasion of privacy except for in very specific circumstances. You are a really good photographer.

Thank you Shelly! Writing my blog has really encouraged me.