Dahlia Fashion Shoot

The garden survived without me!  If you read Letting them fly, you will know that I suffer from separation anxiety when I have to leave my garden to go on holiday.  No sooner have I returned than I am off again!  Just me, without the family, for a lovely long weekend with old friends.

So I am just swooping over the garden, deadheading, eating raspberries and pulling out weeds that have inexplicably grown to the size of a toddler in two weeks.

I will be writing a proper post about all of this, but for now, as I head off to Heathrow, feeling all footloose and fancy free, I thought I would just leave you with a little Dahlia Fashion Shoot, photographed today in the sunshine.

Think of this as a glossy mag sort of a post. No brainpower needed. Just sit back and enjoy the silky textures, rich colour, and delicious flower forms.

_9060100
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’
_9060102
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’
_9060107
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’ and ‘Vino’
_9060108
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’ and ‘Vino’
_9060103
Dahlia ‘Purple Flame’
_9060104
Dahlia ‘Purple Flame’
_9060105
Dahlia ‘Juliet’
_9060106
Dahlia ‘Vino’
_9060109
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’ and ‘Purple Dream’
_9060110
Dahlia ‘Blue Bayou’
P9020110
Dahlia ‘Blue Bayou’
P8130071
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’
_8130079
Dahlia ‘Purple Dream’
P8170042
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’
P8130070
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’

Which is your favourite?  Do you fancy a G&T?  I am feeling decadent.  I’m so excited!!!

I aim in this blog to enjoy all the earthy delights the garden has to offer. If you know someone who might like this post, feel free to click on the social media or email icons below. Or, if you would like to receive a regular pop of wonder, you can click on the ‘Follow’ button at the base of this post to receive an email each time I publish a post.

1. If pushed for a favourite I go for the shot of American Dawn. I like the focus on what is to come, the mature bloom leading us to the cosmos behind. Enjoy your trip

Waltzing Matilda reminds me of the Flower Fairies books, I don’t know why. Do you remember them?

Yes! I had the Flower Fairies Alphabet Book. I found it recently in a bookshop and the illustrations transported me back to childhood!

3. Claudette says:

I love the smell of th efoliage of dahlias – it just rings all my bells – don’t know why. I really should buy more as I only have a single variety (no idea what, just a peachy pink spiky type).

I love the smell too. Sort of peppery, isn’t it?

4. Christina says:

I’m suffering serious Dahlia envy here; yours are all mouth-wateringly gorgeous! Do you have a favourite supplier?

Yes; I order from Sarah Raven. Though might try National Dahlia Collection next year.

1. Christina says:

SR will only send seeds to Italy and then at the buyer’s risk. Peter Nyssen will send but I don’t think he has anything very unusual.

Oh that’s a shame! Withypitts is another I follow on Instagram, but have yet to buy from.

5. You always amaze me that you know all your flowers names. Takes a good brain to store all that information and mine is getting too old to handle all those details.
    Dare I say it, I must be the only gardener not in love with dahlias. I loved them as a child when my grandpa grew them, but they don’t tempt me as an adult. I shall enjoy yours instead.
    Have a wonderful time with your friends! Old friends are as special as flowers, they give so much and make life so meaningful.

Thank you Cindy. X

6. I love the colours of all these Dahlias Ali. I could not choose a favourite. 🌼

do have a fun time but…your garden will be waiting in all of its beauty.

8. M.B. Henry says:

Gosh they’re all beautiful, it’s hard to pick a favorite! Glad the garden did well in your absence.

My mum took good care of it!

9. Cor, they are gorgeous. Waltzing Mathilda is going brilliantly in my garden too. Love them

10. Rupali says:

All are super amazing.

The perfection of dahlias never fails to dazzle me!

12. Astroloji says:

I do also like to take some macro shots.. How you avoid from handshaking ?

My camera has image stabilising technology (whatever that is) and also I rest it on my knee to get more stability for close-ups.

13. All are super amazing.
    I love the flowers