Drippy

I woke up to a very wet garden.

P8100042

Not one to miss an opportunity, I took my camera for a walk.  Do you see the tiny vine-leaf in the drip?

P8100043

When plants are weighed down with rain, everything has a different feel.

P8100045
Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’

The colours are muted, and there is a silver sparkle.

P8100046
Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’ foliage

P8100047

There are more blues, in the greens and in the purples.

P8100048
Penstemon ‘Raven’

Blooms hang heavy, like they need to shake their heads.

P8100054
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’

Some look even more beautiful with wet hair.

P8100055
Salvia x jamensis ‘Nachtvlinder’

Silver droplets cling to fringed edges.

P8100051

You see flowers from new angles as the rain weighs them down.

P8100060
Rosa ‘Lady of Megginch’

The colour combinations change, as one stem leans into another.

P8100059
Agastache ‘Blue Boa’

The rain reveals hidden structures.

P8100057

Those who normally stand tall are humbled.

P8100062
Rosa ‘Roald Dahl’

There are reminders that autumn is around the corner.

P8100064

We must keep smelling the roses.

P8100065
Rosa ‘Munstead Wood’

Bouncing our hands off the soft Phlox,

P8100066
Phlox paniculata ‘Europa’

Appreciating every new bud,

P8100067
Rosa ‘Hansa’

Every joy the garden has to offer.

P8100069
Geranium ‘Crystal Lake’ with Rosa ‘Princess Anne’

This time is precious.

If you have enjoyed the images in this post, you might like to click on the ‘Photography’ link near the headline to see other images.

Please feel free to share this post on social media using the icons below.

If you would like to receive an email link to each new post, then click on the ‘Follow’ button.  It is lovely to have a community of like-minded people sharing this blog.

Great photography and wonderful observations, Ali

2. Beautiful Ali! It’s been raining here for 48 hours straight courtesy of a tropical storm that made landfall 900 miles south of us. At least it was a good steady rain and not a downpour or there would be flooding. Drippy is the perfect and soggy are the words for here.

That is quite satisfying, isn’t it? Imagining happy roots!

3. Christina says:

I love seeing your beautiful images but do you think you could make them a little smaller; your posts have made wordpress crash on my phone several times.

I don’t use a phone to view WP, but I have checked these files and they are very small sizes.

Thanks Jude! I had asked wp support to check my site, but you are quicker to respond!

2. Christina says:

I’m surprised but thanks for checking.

They have already been compressed, so am not sure why that should be. I have checked speed here and it is ok. Could it be WiFi or signal at your end?

1. Christina says:

That’s interesting. Your pictures always take longer to load even on my laptop. Maybe wordpress clashing with yours was just a coincidence.

4. Such beautiful words with even more beautiful photos. Loved this!

Rain always makes the colours sing and I love photographing raindrops – your photos are beautiful as always 🙂

6. M.B. Henry says:

I love water drop photos. What a beautiful series you got here – especially love the spider web

Me too! Love those clever spiders!

1. M.B. Henry says:

I have such a love hate relationship with spiders. I love what they do for the environment and I love their beautiful creations, but man I hate it when I find one in my bed or something!

Rain enhances the beauty of flowers so well!

8. Valonia says:

Such beautiful photos – they’d make a wonderful collection for a book. Reading your posts always turns into a shopping list for me! 🙂

Ah, thank you Valonia!

9. Julieanne says:

Beautiful photographs. Gardens can really sparkle after the rain.

Thanks Julieanne.

10. Oh, the fragrance of a wet garden!

11. Beautiful Photos, as usual. Great idea to photograph after a rain. I hope you didn’t get too much. We’ve had devastating flooding in our area.

Really sorry to hear that. No, we haven’t had any of this catastrophic weather. Hope you are safe.

1. Oh, yes! Thanks! Didn’t mean to worry you. We are fine. The area south of us by about a half hour of drive time has been devastated, however. Lots of flood victim relief efforts going on. Thankfully, we live in a very giving, helpful community. I donated money to get books back into the hands of children whose homes were lost. It was a fitting cause for me! Thanks again for your concern!

It is very sobering to be even on the edge of such an event. It is touching to hear how books are the thing that you felt impelled to help with. It brings it home what you would value or miss the most if the worst should happen.

3. I guess I chose that contribution because so much was already being done for other essentials like food, shelter, clothing, and furniture. The city, with lays between the flooded area and us, hosted a flood relief concert last weekend which was free for any kind of donation. I heard it was a great success. Just wanted to contribute in some small way. The organizer of the book drive is a person I know and as she pointed out, sometimes all you need is a book to get lost in for a little while when things get tough! I thought that was very insightful!

Absolutely. And such a calming thing to do for an adult to read to a child.