Raspberries and Roses

The garden is slowing down.

_9020153
Autumn fruiting raspberries, in Thug’s Corner.

Where I was having to deadhead every day, I can get away with leaving things for a week.

P9030082
Rosa ‘Grace’

It is a managed decline.

_9020152
Phlox paniculata ‘Coral Flame’

It is nobody’s fault.  Just what happens.

_9030073
Rosa ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’

There is a pressure in the summer to keep things going, keep deadheading, keep harvesting, to keep things coming.

_9030053
Rosa ‘Benjamin Britten’

Now we can relax a bit.

_9020150

Pick a handful of raspberries here,

_9060128

Maybe an apple to bite into.

P9020159

We can stand crunching our apple whilst we watch a bee.

P9030083
Verbena bonariensis

We can reach up to sniff a climbing rose.

_9030075
Rosa ‘Falstaff’

There is an acceptance that it is all slowly going over,

P9140237
Hydrangea aborescens ‘Annabelle’

running out of steam.

P9020162

From now there will be blooms by the handful, not the bucketful.

P9030081
Rosa ‘Grace’

The birds can have their share.

P9140238.jpg

We are satiated.

P9030085
Verbena bonariensis

I will be grateful for each new bloom from now until December. Each one will be cupped, sniffed, crooned over.

P9020161

Rosa ‘Royal Jubilee’

Autumn is a comfy chair.  It is better to sink into it, accept it, and take what it offers.

I aim in this blog to enjoy all the earthy delights the garden has to offer. If you know someone who might like this post, feel free to click on the social media or email icons below. Or, if you would like to receive a regular pop of wonder, you can click on the ‘Follow’ button at the base of this post to receive an email each time I publish a post.

Raspberries and Roses would be a lovely name for a teashop 🙂
    And your beautiful roses are still giving so much pleasure.

Yes! I’ve always had a tea shop fantasy!

2. Your berries and apples look so yummy! You are so lucky to have things that will bloom into December. By that time here, everything is brown except the grass and sometimes there is snow on the ground. I wish we had milder winters, but once it hits, you’re in it for the long haul until March or April.

I will just have to keep sharing mine!

3. What a beautiful post! I experience autumn the same way. I was an at arboretum yesterday and appreciated the rest all the flowers were taking, etc. It’s a message about all of life.

That is a lovely way of putting it.

All is well that ends well.

5. Lovely! I just heard about your blog today via a David Austin Roses post. Coincidentally, I started something similar about a month ago. The URL is wheretherosesgrow.net if you would like to check it out.

Thank you! I love your life lessons!

6. Anne Wheaton says:

Ha! You just described my garden (and possibly my life) – a managed decline … all is slowly going over. A perfect description of this time of year.

And nothing wrong with a dignified managed decline!

2. Ha! I like that description — managed decline.

7. bittster says:

It sounds like we took the same walk around the garden this weekend. Things to do but I’m not quite as concerned about getting them done as I was in June.
    It’s not the worst thing.

No; it’s nice to have space to breathe.

8. M.B. Henry says:

Wow, slowing down but it still looks lovely! Those raspberries look yummy.

The autumn flowering ones always seem more sweet because there aren’t so many.

9. Yummy combination! Roses and raspberries! 😋 Your garden always inspires me!

That is lovely to hear. Thank you.

10. I love the variety of pictures in this–flowers, raspberries, bee bums. I also loved the reminder of the gentle cycle of life and the invitation to appreciate it at each stage. Thank you, Friend!

11. Mud Cakes and Wine says:

your roses are just stunning. I want a few more in our garden and maybe asking for some advice xx

Please do! I’m a total rose bore!