Subtle

Regular readers will know that I have a penchant for bright and deeply saturated colour.  I get a colour-high from playing with the loudest tones, and a big, bold clash gives me a bit of a thrill.

But this post is not going to contain any shocks to the system.  These photos were taken last night, when I got home, and thought I would just cut a few flowers from the house.  It was the pale tones of Nicotiana that shone out in the fading light.  It struck me just how beautiful they are.

P9160050
Nicotiana ‘Sensation Mixed’

I love the pale sage-green background with its blobs of lilac, purple and white. They are the colours of a tastefully decorated guest bedroom.

I love the way the light catches the fine hairs on the stem and calyx.

P9160049
Nicotiana ‘Sensation Mixed’

The darker purples can stay in the blurred background for a change.

P9160042
Nicotiana ‘Sensation Mixed’

Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’ is another subtle one.  Its buttermilk yellow is tinged with green when the flower is in bud.  I love the fading-out green stems in this photo!

P9160055
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’

It is a flower that begs for a close gaze.  That is a blur of lilac Nicotiana behind.

P9160048
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’

There are actually many flowers to its pincushion head.  It is a clarion call of a flower.

P9160056
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’

Now I am appreciating the complexity of the seedheads.  It is delightfully hairy.  Dare I say that it reminds me a little of those naughty chin hairs on old ladies?  That will be me one day.

P9160044
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’

I had to sacrifice my borage earlier in the season because it had risen up and boiled over and was threatening to bring down the whole raised bed (see Pata Pata).  I must have missed one small plant, or borage is the quickest plant to self-seed, because here is a new one just ready to flower. I love that there are new things happening even at the end of September.

P9160051
Borago officianalis (borage) in bud

And just because I can’t help it, here is a deep purple to finish, but it does have some lovely subtle lilacs and blues behind it, and that delicious creamy sage too.

P9160047
Nicotiana ‘Sensation Mixed’

If you can spare the time today, I hope you enjoy gazing upon the subtle beauty of these flowers, buds and seedheads.

We won’t have this luxury for long in the Northern Hemisphere.  The flowers are slowing down, and soon there will be more seedheads than buds.

You can see more posts about my cutting patch by clicking on the link at the top of the post.

My aim on this site is to share the sense of wonder I get from gardening and being outdoors.
If you would like to join the joy, click on the ‘Follow’ button at the end of this post. You will receive an email each time I post a little pop of wonder.

1. Beautiful photos and lovely thoughts, except about old ladies’ chin hairs, I removed my first chin hair yesterday! There a small part of my garden where I grow just borage, it has been lovely this year, I love the intensity of the colour of the flowers but have never noticed taken much notice of the flower buds before seeing your photo.

I once found a two inch hair on the side of my face! I have no idea how it got so long without my noticing it! Borage is wonderful, isn’t it? I only just discovered it this year.

I’m afraid to say that chin hairs aren’t exclusive to older ladies 😦
    I was a little shocked to find it so cold this morning, had to have a quick look at my tender plants that are still outside and will have to remain so until the conservatory roof is finished. Probably another couple of weeks! So I am praying that not only the rain stays away but also Jack Frost.

We had a frost yesterday and today! Not hard enough to take down the dahlias, thank goodness, but I did have to scrape the car windscreen!

Yikes! Maybe I need to buy some fleece quickly.

3. I love your boiled over borage and tastefully decorated guest bedroom descriptions, they make me smile and nod! And the old lady’s hairs made me laugh as I have a rogue one on occasion. It pops up inexplicably a couple of times a year from a surfing scar under my chin, so it ought to be cool but it’s not!! Beautiful pics of some beautiful flowers. Thanks for brightening my day x

I am very happy to brighten your day! Your surf scar hair does sound cool to me! 😂

4. FlowerAlley says:

Peaceful content and colors. Good job!

Your beautiful blury backgrounds really make the subject pop.

Thank you; I was pleased with them!

6. InspiresN says:

wow so soothing and pleasing to the eyes and beautiful photography!

7. Beautiful photos and thoughts! I am especially partial to borage and other forgotten herbs. Really like your post. I really relate to your comments about being peaceful and slowing down to connect to the garden.

I am a total borage convert. I have really enjoyed oregano flowers this year too. Can you recommend any others?

1. Sure, I’m working on a series on ‘forgotten herbs’. You and I clearly know about some of them, but most people wouldn’t…even herbs that were once very well-known. Right now the series has nasturtiums, borage, calendula, clary sage and wild chicory. I’ve got more drafted on wild carrot, jewelweed, lovage, chervil and sorrel.

I will take a look; I’m not familiar with wild chicory or jewel weed. I utterly love nasturtiums and calendula, and am a recent convert to wild carrot and the other umbels!

8. Soon — maybe even this afternoon — I’ll have purplish chrysanthemums. They’re more of an aster shade and remind me that Mother’s favorite fall flower was the purple aster. These purple chrysanthemums are small flowered, not the large mums we gals used to wear to high school and college football games. The last time for me was early in my marriage. My husband bought me a bright orange mum corsage to go with my new blue and orange plaid sheath dress I had made for the occasion: his Florida Gator homecoming weekend.

9. Beautiful photos as ever Ali. Xx

Yup – gazing is good for the soul!

11. I love your “chin hairs” comment :). That is what they look like! I also loved the borage bud photo especially.