Time for change

It’s a time of transition.

_9210201
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’ with dahlias and zinnias in the background.

Change is coming.

_9210097
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’

This chapter won’t last forever.

_9210101
Zinnia ‘Queen Red Lime’ and Dahlia ‘Totally Tangerine’ in the foreground; Dahlia ‘Vino’ and Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’ in the background.

The zinnias have been an inspiration, standing tall and shining brightly.

_9210098
Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’

They’ve just kept on coming.

_9210100
Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’

But there are signs of fatigue.

_9210104
Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’

Though tell that to the bees.

_9210105
Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’ and a bee.

Dahlias were late-starters this year.

_9210107
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’

Some lacked vigour (though again, tell that to the bees).

_9210110
Dahlia ‘Juliet’

Some have been glorious.

_9210112
Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’

Now the wind may batter them,

_9210115
Dahlia ‘Vino’

but they march on, sharing their colours with autumn.

_9210215
Dahlia ‘Vino’

The zinnias are getting lanky,

_9210206
Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’ with Dahlia ‘Waltzing Matilda’ behind.

And scabious skanky.

_9210202
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’ with Zinnia elegans ‘Queen Red Lime’ behind.

Though tell that to the bees.

_9210233
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’ with a little bumblebee.

They always find what is good in life.

_9210232
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’ with a little bumblebee bum.

These flowers are starting to look beyond, to what comes next.

_9210211
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’

Some have already produced the next generation.

_9210118
Borago officialis (Borage)

The young intermingle with the old.

_9210218
Borago officialis (Borage) with Nicotiana ‘Sensation’ behind.

Space has been cleared,

_9210113
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Beaujolais Bonnets’

There is room to stretch out,

_9210229
Scabiosa atropurpurea ‘Fata Morgana’ with Dahlia ‘American Dawn’ behind.

And space to think.

_9210203
Dahlia ‘American Dawn’

Change is coming.

_9210204
Dahlia ‘Juliet’

What will it be?

These cutting beds will be cleared soon to make way for spring bulbs.  They won’t ever look the same again.  Each year I choose different annual seeds, and mix it up.  There may be one or two old friends in new combinations with plants I have never grown before.

We might be in for a tough winter, but spring will come. There is so much happening below the surface.

Don’t be afraid of change.  Be the change you want to see.

I stand in solidarity with those demonstrating against the election of Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court Judge. As do all the wonderful men in my family, who value women and act with integrity.

If you would like ideas for growing annuals in a small space, take a look at these posts from earlier on in the year.  These flowers were all grown in a raised bed, from seed sown in April.

My fingers are tingling with magic!

Flowergasm!

Pata Pata

Moon Landings

Club Tropicana

Oasis

Cook little pot, cook!

Letting them fly

Just a little bit, like, TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL!!!

If you would like you join me on gardening adventures, then click on the ‘Follow’ button right at the bottom of this post (as far as your thumb can travel).  You will receive an email each time I publish a post.  I aim to bring you a little pop of wonder or a smattering of joyfulness with each post.

You don’t even need a garden to join in!  I have enough for all of us.

1. Lovely post as usual. The zinnias in our beds at school were crazy beautiful this year. Tall, magestic and deep in pink color. A definite magnet for my monarchs and bees, too! I how you plant different annuals each year! What a great growing adventure!

P.S. I hope you don’t think too poorly of us Americans! We’re not all as badly behaved as what you have been witnessing in the media!

Please don’t think I judge Americans by these few! Our political scene is nothing to be proud of right now, either. I have just found it so distressing to see those with power club together and protect one another, despite the very real pain they are causing to so many. I really hope that this galvanises the electorate to demand better. It has surprised me how emotional I have felt with all of this, as I did with the election two years ago (I cried!)

I will be growing zinnias again: there are so many to choose from, I think it is going to be fun!

1. I don’t. It is just very disheartening and downright disgusting our our leaders are conducting themselves. It’s been such a circus lately that I am ashamed. Glad you’ll be planting more zinnias- I will too. They have always been a favorite!

2. Love the way you link the slide into winter with optimism about change … but for me its not change I fear, it’s the dam cold! Lovely post, thank you

I don’t like the cold either. I can’t imagine the cold now – I find temperature impossible to imagine. But I will be snuggled up in a big jumper cradling a cup of tea for three months!

3. Tish Farrell says:

Embracing change – what a joyous post, Ali.

Thank you Tish. x

I agree that in the garden it can be a time for embracing change rather than regretting the demise of summer – as well as seed sowing and cuttings for next year there is the opportunity to assess the successes and failures if this year and make new plans. Changes in life can be both Scary and Exciting but, like our gardens, Life us a continuous learning curve ps so what I can learn from you about growing such wonderful clumps of scabious? I gave never had any success with it

It didn’t give me too many problems. Not sneezing as you sow the seed is my only recommendation! The seeds were like little shuttlecocks and liable to take flight! They were slow to get going – the seedlings stayed small for a long time. I can’t actually remember if I pinched them out, but I probably did. I grew them in a raised bed this time, but they’ve done ok in a border before. I keep up with the deadheading better in a raised bed though – I found them a bit tedious in a border because I forgot to deadhead them regularly enough.

‘have’ never, that is 😉

It has been abeautiful season in your garden. Thank you for sharing.
    But…I do have to say there has been no integrity in the demonstrating. It has been pure evil.

7. Jodi says:

So much beauty it takes my breath away! And a wonderful message of change

Thank you Jodi for your lovely comment.

8. Valonia says:

Your words and photos are so inspiring. 🙂 I’ve been completely won over by zinnias this year, they’ve been a complete revelation to me (and I only tried them because they were free with a magazine!).
    I stand in solidarity with you regarding Brett Kavanaugh. There should be no room in places of power for people like him.

Thank you Valonia. It does mean a lot and help a lot to know that there are so many people feeling equally appalled.

Your garden has been an inspiration all year and no less so now. Autumn was always my second favourite time of the year (after spring). but living in a place where there are very few trees has changed that.

That’s interesting about trees! Is that because you are close to the coast?

West Penwith is almost totally surrounded by the sea so any trees don’t grow very tall. Normally just hedgerows. Plus it is high up. There is a small woodland just below us, but I haven’t noticed much in the way of interesting autumn colours in there.

According to Wikipedia: “Inland, the peninsula is primarily granite with a thin top soil. This combined with Cornwall’s exposed position and the prevailing weather systems from the Atlantic Ocean means that, with the exception of the high moor areas, much of the area is a semi-bare plateau standing around 130 m above sea level.”

10. I am excited for the challenge of late season gardening, but also sad that the main season is almost over…

Yes, mixed feelings here too. I have found myself baking the last two days, which is a way of comforting myself and hunkering down for cooler weather!

Still looking fabulous, Ali. I wouldn’t be able to cut these down before frost did. I’m a hanger-on! 🙂 But to my defense, winter is really LONG here and we won’t see new growth until May.

Thank you Eliza. Yes, I guess our winter is a couple of months shorter then. Our autumn seems to get longer and winter shorter. Winter doesn’t seem to start til the New Year, and then things are sprouting at the end of Feb.

How I wish! Our dreary season feels endless. That’s why I go into it kicking and screaming. 😉

Have you heard of the concept of ‘hygge’ ? It’s a Danish word for ‘cosying’. It’s a really trendy concept here at the moment, encompassing food and interiors and lifestyle. I love it! The scandis do winter so well!

Yes, they do. Centuries of practice, lol! I think acceptance is key… as they say, ‘resistence is futile.’

12. Yay! I love all these bee pictures, and I love how you use nature to reflect on important ethical and social issues. These reflections always reinforce my love of your gardening pictures, and your gardening picture reinforce my understanding of the importance of these ethical and social concerns. I love this reminder to be the change we want to see. Much love.

13. These late summer/early fall flowers are so uplifting for me. I hope this post stays up a while so that I may revisit from time to time.

It is a lovely thought that you may visit often. It will be here, and I would love to offer you a cup of tea and a seat at my table. X