Still Singing!

We’ve already had a couple of light frosts.

_9240103

Then the days have been warm and blue and glorious.

_9230062

We’ve had storms.  We’ve had mist.  We’ve had entanglements.

_9240093
Salvia x jamensis ‘Nachtvlinder’

Boundaries have had to be re-established.

_9240089
Rosa ‘Princess Anne’ in the foreground; Rosa ‘Hansa’ behind.

You might think we would be feeling jaded.

_9230064
Geranium ‘Crystal Lake’

downcast,

_9230063
Geranium ‘Crystal Lake’

quiet,

_9230040
Geranium ‘Anne Thomson’

a little contemplative?

_9230042
Geranium ‘Anne Thomson’

A time to retreat, and look inwards?

_9230065
Fuchsia ‘Delta’s Sarah’

It has been a time to take stock.

_9240090
Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’ in the foreground; Rosa ‘Princess Anne’ behind.

To look closely at our own lives.

P9230049
Rosa ‘Roald Dahl’

To appreciate what we have,

_9240091
Penstemon ‘Raven’ with Rosa ‘Princess Anne’ behind.

How far we’ve come,

_9230057
Rosa ‘Princess Anne’ with Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’ behind.

That there are still wonders ahead of us,

_9230060
Rosa ‘Princess Anne’

And we’re still singing.

_9230058
Rosa ‘Princess Anne’

Some things have had their season,

_9240115
Phlox paniculata ‘Purple Flame’ gone over.

Some shine on.

_9240106
Geranium ‘Anne Thomson’

We’re still singing.

_9240111
Foliage of the Gallica rose ‘Tuscany Superb’, with Rosa ‘Roald Dahl’ behind.

We’ll keep on singing.

_9240113
Pear tree, bearing fruit.

Even if it is a quiet little ditty to ourselves.

P9230050
Geranium psilostemon

Have you survived storms, entanglements or overstepped boundaries?  What gets you through?  Do you sing?  Or hum?  Or sit in quiet contemplation?

My blog is a testimony to the garden as therapy.  I can’t help but reference themes that are important to me.  You will find threads about feminism, racism, parenting, relationships, coercive control and survival.

Mindfulness, reflection and a focus on the sensory pleasures and playful delights of gardening have brought me inner strength and resilience.  If any of these themes resonate with you, consider joining in by clicking on the ‘Follow’ button at the base of this post.  You will receive an email each time I publish a post.  I aim to enrich your life rather than drain your precious resources.  Time in the garden is time well-spent.

1. I talk to my three dogs. They listen and it soothes me. Sometimes I sit in the sun. Music is nice, too. A glass of wine at 5p.m. always works. And, I love your Royal Family. When I can not stand any more of our news, I read about the royals. Another baby soon! So exciting!

Wonderful strategies all!

Still plenty flowering in your garden, Ali.

Yes, we do well in autumn.

3. We have survived the storms and heavy rain. I am really thankful for 4 days of sunshine. Singing like you Ali especially after seeing Evita last week. Don’t Cry for me Argentina is the serenade of the day. 😉

Nothing like a good musical theatre belter!

4. Gorgeous gardens! Something about the perseverance of plants after a frost. Humming in the garden and some drawing.💗😍

That sounds lovely. If only I could draw.

5. susurrus says:

Your roses are looking wonderfully healthy so late in the year.

They are enjoying this weather.

6. FlowerAlley says:

I loved this post. I feel endings in fall, also. I will keep singing if you will. Ha.

I’m sure we could harmonise!

You always put such a good spin on things from your garden. No frost here just yet but the temps have cooled down for a day or two and it is now raining. We haven’t had the storms some have had and the rain is much needed. Almost a clean slate in my small flower bed. Of course not every thing is gone and some will return in Spring but there is progress.

I’m glad of that. You will get there in the end.

8. Right now, people are getting me through. Reaching to members of a new support group is also daunting in itself, so patience is important here. It’s too easy to know I need support and try to reach out to everyone, rather than sit back a little and seek support from those whom I feel an affinity.

That is really good to hear. There are a lot of people behind you. X

9. Love this! I have been feeling this way a bit myself–I have experienced a couple of storms and entanglements and boundary crossings lately. I think I have been using a lot of quiet contemplation and patience–I know the storms will pass if I stick it out a bit.

Yes. I guess this is life: it is stormy at times. I can’t say I have entirely kept my cool throughout, but I have done the best I can!

‘Anne Thomson’ is most definitely a ‘must have’ plant. She just seems to go on and on and on! And your roses are so beautiful still.

I decided to give her a post of her own today!