Twinkle Twinkle

The garden was beckoning me at breakfast.  It was twinkling its eyes at me.

PB020171

We tend to focus on colour in autumn, but it is also a change in form that I notice.  Leaves thin out, filtering sunlight.  Each leaf is holding on by a thread.  They spin on their stalks, catching the light.  It is like the garden is strung with fairy lights.

PB020073

I love standing under the canopy of the lime tree.  The leaves twinkle.

PB020075

I love having a roof over my head, but being able to look beyond, to the still bright border.

PB020077

There’s a bench under the lime tree.  Its straight lines are juxtaposed with the curves in the border behind.

PB020079

The bench casts its shadow across the grass.

PB020080

There are small wonders everywhere.  You just need to look.  Here, in the scattering of leaves on the grass.

PB020078

Here, in the border: the frosted leaves of Geums.

PB020094

With each frost they will deepen their colours.

PB020095

Rosa ‘Summer Song’ is hanging her head.  She tends towards the doleful.

PB020084
Rosa ‘Summer Song’

If only she knew her own worth.  Her fine lines are sublime.

PB020086
Rosa ‘Summer Song’

Perhaps she feels trapped in a prison of her own making?

PB020088
Rosa ‘Summer Song’

Or is she just gazing down at the Geraniums?  They are undaunted and resilient.  I love these delicate colours of coral, sky blue and apple green.

PB020092

The outline of leaves becomes more apparent with frost.

PB020097

Their textures become more prominent.  They are embossed.

PB020096

There is still the odd flower.  This one peers in.

PB020098
Geranium ‘Anne Thomson’

When I am taking close-up shots, I often hold my hand out, helping the lens to first focus on the fine lines of my hand.  This makes it easier to focus on the fine lines of petals and leaves.

This morning I had to hide my hands in the sleeves of my jumper.  I focused on the texture of the wool instead.

PB020129

High up, at the back of the border, there are the tiers of Buddleia.

PB020102

Higher still, the last leaves of the Mountain Ash.

PB020104

Rosa ‘Benjamin Britten’ is in a state of undress.

PB020105
Rosa ‘Benjamin Britten’

He looks pretty marvellous fully clothed or déshabillé.

PB020106
Rosa ‘Benjamin Britten’

Persicaria is frosted too.  It is crystal-sharp against the soft background smudges of pink and slate grey.

PB020107
Persicaria ‘Blackfield’

It is living on borrowed time now.

PB020108
Persicaria ‘Blackfield’

Images of death and decay are creeping in at the edges.

PB020109

Let’s turn back and enjoy the last of the bright border’s glory.  Here are the prayer flags of Salvia ‘Amistad’.

PB020118
Salvia ‘Amistad’

Rosa ‘Thomas a Becket’, kneeling in supplication.

PB020120
Rosa ‘Thomas a Becket’

The world-weary Gladioli and Euphorbia.

PB020121

We are back under the canopy of the lime tree.

PB020125

Looking out onto the fields beyond the garden.

PB020126

The alpacas are snorting and steaming in the morning sun.

PB020165

This is the long view of the bright border.  It might just look like a badly focused photo.  (the fennel seedheads in the foreground are in focus).  But I love the twinkliness of the bright border in the background.  This is the magic of the autumn garden: colour, form and texture combined.  Twinkling.

PB020173

And there’s Ziggy, returning from chasing a few squirrels on his well-worn path from the allotment.

What do you enjoy in the autumn garden?  What catches your eye?

The Mindful Gardener brings you twinkles of brightness throughout the year.  The days may be short and the light low.  Perhaps we enjoy the twinkling light all the more.

If you would like to join in the sensory pleasures and earthy delights of the garden, you can click on the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of this post.  You will receive a lovely email each time I post.

This blog makes no demands of you.  Stay as long as you like.  Pop in and out.  Everyone’s welcome.

1. Susan Beard. says:

Golden hue to morning glory in Autumn..Lovely. Thank you.

2. I do love a frosty garden, it is magical. Fantastic photos!! 😍💗

3. Lovely scenes and words as always! In our garden, I enjoy the tall ornamental grasses. The green stalks have turned yellow but the plumes remain fluffy and dance in the breeze.

I am a very recent convert to grasses…

4. Your pictures are so cheerful with all that sunlight. I never realized how cloudy and drab it is here in Ohio in October and November. We can go days without sunlight. We have some snow on the ground that brightens it a bit, but the sun would do a better job. Thank you for sharing your sunshine – it is delightful!

I have that sort of weather here Cindy – not the snow – but grey sky and day after day of relentless rain in November. It can be very depressing. Ali’s garden is such a welcome sight 🙂

We have had a very murky day here today! But generally we do get a reasonable amount of winter sunshine. A clear day in winter is a thing of beauty too, so long as you have a good jumper!

Your frosty garden is a delight and as usual so are your words describing it. And yes, the Amistad does look like prayer flags! You are so wonderfully observant Ali.

Thank you Jude. x

6. bittster says:

A wonderful post, the light and the colors make for such a cheerful sight and your photos really bring out the details of autumn. A fun read as well 🙂

I am glad you enjoyed it. I have fun writing these posts too!

7. Nat says:

I love this post/story/journey and the photos too. Beautiful.

Thank you, Nat, I am happy you are here to take part. x

My word, your greenhouse is retro-gorgeous!

It is a lovely greenhouse. I only occupy it in March, then it becomes Stevie’s tomato heaven!

Beautiful photos, Ali. Frost is so lovely in the garden. I admire the changes that come slowly to the viburnums and oak-leaf hydrangea, as well as the geraniums. The light within flares and slowly extinguishes.

Beautiful words, Eliza. x

10. M.B. Henry says:

Love those pictures 🙂 The frost pictures are amazing, and all of it looks like it made for a lovely stroll in the garden

It did. Nicer than on a damp day, like it was yesterday. Today is looking very promising though…

There is always something changing. We have had our first big frost and now things are in for a slight warm up.Thats good because I need to get the back end on the hoop house. Plastic works better in the warm sun.

‘Hoop house’ sounds like a lot of fun!

Some dy I will get it into production. I’m just slow.

12. Robyn Haynes says:

You have a fine eye for details Ali. I love your photos and the captions which give us a different perspective. I love the feeling of an impending season of rest. It’s far more subtle in a subtropical climate but there, nevertheless.

Yes. Most days I embrace the seasons, and like to feel where I am in the yearly cycle. Some dark and dank days it feels like a long time until spring. Today is starting off gorgeous, with sun piercing the mists…

1. Robyn Haynes says:

Celebrate gorgeous days like that

Frost this week- surely not? I think we dan expect it next week though. I especially enjoy my morning rambles, for all the same reasons that you do

14. I love everything about autumn from golden birch leaves against cobalt skies to frost on the rose hips, the little “mountain birds” flocking around the hanging gazebo feeder to cat-o-nine tails flocking in road side ditches — and afternoon tea before a fire as sunset sends its last hurrah through my windows.

Oh, what beautiful images and words. Thank you for such a wonderful comment! Poetry.

1. You’re welcome, Ali. I studied poetry and poetry writing in a writer’s group to help me learn to add “color” to my essays. Guess it worked!

It certainly did!