Pink Pops

The colours of autumn are the russet reds, maroons, oranges and ochres. But in the Rose Garden it is the pops of pink that are standing out.

They look striking against a background of warm brown.

PB020059

We just went to the see the film of Bohemian Rhapsody.  Three generations of our family were entranced by Freddie Mercury.  We downloaded Queen songs for the journey home, and then watched the actual Live Aid footage at home.

We were all in awe of this man’s energy and creative talent.  And his bravery to just be him.

At the time of Live Aid it was acceptable to be homophobic. It is hard not to read Freddie Mercury’s strutting around on stage as an open challenge to this.

In the last twenty years, things have changed.  There is still a way to go, but I would feel supported if I challenged subtle homophobia in a social situation.  It used to be that everyone laughed along at the same old jokes.

PB020064

This post is dedicated to the game-changers.  The ones who dare to be different.

Please admire the striking pink anthers.  I love the complexity of Fuchsias.

PB020062

These Erodium manescavii received a frosty reception, but they did it anyway.  They look sad now, but they will recover their pride.

PB020055

Penstemon ‘Raven’ are deepest magenta, with an ultraviolet sheen.  They are outrageous.  They make themselves vulnerable by being visible, but they refuse to go away.

PB020068

These roses are biding their time, but they will find sunshine and warmth when they open out.

PB020181

Some just go ahead, unafraid to let their madness shine through.  They are high on life and they don’t hesitate.  Like someone else I know.

PB020184
Ziggy, with all four feet off the ground.

Were you moved by Bohemian Rhapsody?  Who are the Pioneers you most admire?

The Mindful Gardener aims to bring you little pops of wonder through the winter months.  If you feel in need of a little natural boost, then you can click on the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of this page.  You will receive an email each time I post.

Spread love not hate.  Together we can celebrate diversity.

1. Kaz says:

I absolutely loved the film too
    Downloaded Night at the Opera the next morning and watched the live aid footage.
    Can remember as a seven year old, my big brother returning home from a shopping trip with said album and we listened to it over and over. Rip Freddie. He died on my birthday 24th November😥

Aw, a special memory. It was so sad when he died, wasn’t it? It was my first experience of someone I had heard of dying young. The Live Aid footage is such a brilliant reminder of his stage presence.

2. Kath says:

So enjoyed reading your lovely blog as always Ali.

Thank you Kath. It is lovely to have you here.

3. Rupali says:

Lovely colours Alison. Here the flowers are long gone.

I hope we will have them a little longer, but in a month they will be gone. To be replaced by baubles and fairy lights!

4. Julie says:

Did you know that the Live Aid performance in the film was completely choreographed to match exactly Freddie’s moves? Brilliant piece of film making and acting.

It was incredible, wasn’t it? The looks he gave, even. I thought the dance moves were amazing. At one point I thought that the film was using real footage.

5. FlowerAlley says:

You may be a game changer and not even know it Ali.

6. Love your philosophy Ali.

I have not seen BR yet but I am hopeless at scheduling cinema visits.

It is worth a spontaneous trip! The best film I have seen this year.

7. I absolutely loved the film! It’s so very sad that such a talented fellow died from something that today could have been managed. Lovely, lovely pictures!

I was tempted to go and see it twice!

1. Me too! I saw it with my son when my husband was away, but was hoping that I’d be able to see it again with husband! No such luck … ☹️

Sometimes it kills the magic going to see something twice, though doesn’t it? You don’t have that element of surprise that made it so special the first time. It’s lovely to see a really memorable film with your son; if a film has made an impact I really remember who I was with when I saw it at the cinema, and the conversations we had afterwards.

3. I think you’re right … unless it’s a thriller, in which case I certainly won’t have understood it the first time, so occasionally I think I might have better luck on round two!!

8. shazza says:

I remember watching Live Aid on our black and white telly in the kitchen as a teenager. I’d love to see the film. 🙂

You won’t regret it, Shazza!

9. All our summer/fall colors rapidly faded to brown when a cold front, followed by a lingering deep freeze, hit two weeks ago. Even a good half of the leaves remain on the trees, frozen in place. Ugly. Your pops of late color lifted my spirits, Ali. Thanks! And a blessed Thanksgiving to you.

Thank you so much; your comments and engagement with my posts are something I am very grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

10. Bravo to the brave! Cheers to diversity! Here’s to being who we were meant to be! Can’t wait to see the flick. Love Freddie and, as you know, love pink!

I feel sure that you will love it. There is so much visual richness, the music is brilliant, and it is full of heart.