Amethyst and Amber

There was a strange light in the garden at sunrise this morning.

The sky was a moody lavender with clouds of mulberry. There was a ribbon of warmest apricot near the horizon.

PB140140

The silhouettes of trees were darkest aubergine. These are curlicues of Amelanchier.  I love the neon pink stipples in the violet sky.

PB140145

The last remaining leaves look like they are made of bronze.

PB140142

Until they catch the light. Then they are beaten copper.

PB140143

I love the amber warmth of the fallen leaves in the background of this photo. The colour is picked up by both the glimmer of sunlight and in the leaves.

PB140144

The Bright Border is a beautiful nut brown.

PB140154

The light is strange and will not last.

PB140147

It changes even as I stand here.  The leaves ignite with burnt orange. It is like the taste of Cointreau. Now there are base notes of rich plum.

PB140148

Even the wood in my raised beds has a rosy glow. It is like rose gold.

PB140156

This moment will never be repeated. Tomorrow the light will be different. There will be fewer leaves on the Oak.

PB140155

Rosa ‘Hansa’ is clothed in gold. Not for the first time, I am glad of these Moroccan Blue pots.

PB140151

The raspberries in Thugs’ Corner go on and on.  I don’t think we have ever had them this late before.

PB140163

The Lime tree has lost its leaves. I can admire its fine filigree for the next few months. It is the most delicate of all trees. I love the way its branches and twigs sweep upwards.

PB140165

The amethyst is becoming blue, and the amber is becoming pink. The magic can’t last. But I am glad I was there.

The Mindful Gardener aims to capture nature’s magic.  If you would like to witness the wonders too, you can click on the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of this page.  There will be a delicious little ‘pop!’ in your email inbox when I publish a new post.

1. Rupali says:

The feeling when we watch the sky, the woods with the golden touch is awesome.

1. It is, Rupali. It reminds us of our relative scale!

2. Susan Beard. says:

Thanks Ali..Glad I was there with you..

1. It is always lovely to share it, Susan. x

3. shazza says:

Gorgeous. 🙂
    We have had a miserable wet week, though brief episodes of sunshine has meant a few rainbows!
    Lovely pictures. X

1. It has been a really dank week, hasn’t it? This was a little glimmer of light!

What beautiful colours you have caught – often this is the sort of light that you can see with the eye but can’t capture with the lens. Well done!

1. I was surprised. I have tried with sunset before and failed to capture the colour.

5. I love this time of year when it seems like almost constant sunrises and sunsets. Beautiful photos!

1. I was listening to something on the radio about a place in Norway where the sun won’t properly rise now until the third week in January. At first I thought this sounded awful, but the people interviewed said that it is their favourite time of year. It draws them inside to communities and family, but also they said that the twilight sky was beautiful.

6. The beauty of colour, captured perfectly in words and glorious photos. I feel like I want a PowerPoint presentation on the wall to keep reading and viewing this! Love those thriving raspberries in thugs corner, great name.

1. Aw, thank you! The colours were incredible. Thugs’ Corner has lived up to its name this year. I am very thankful for those invading raspberries.

7. What a beautiful sky! So glad you captured it for us as it is so fleeting and rare. Every once in awhile, usually in the fall when the maples are yellow, the light turns yellow here. It is such a treat. I don’t think I’ve ever seen these shades of amethyst before.

1. It was a very odd and special light. I started to notice it when I was eating breakfast, and fortunately I had time to nip out with the camera.

8. That light and those colors are magnificent! I love so many of these photos. 🙂

1. That is lovely to hear. Thank you.

Every day is something new and special. That is a grand bird feederbut what is inside?

1. Just peanuts! The blue tits and great tits love them.

10. Gorgeous mood and lighting in your autumn garden Ali!

1. Thank you Sabine, it’s lovely to share it.

11. What stunning autumn colours! The sky is amazing and I love the conttrast of the startk branches against the sky.

1. I really love the silhouettes of trees at sunset and sunrise; they help me through the winter!

1. So do I! The light has a different quality. I have a special tree that I talk to. with the ocean as the backdrop it’s very photogenic.

12. I’m glad you were there, too, Ali. The amethyst is just right for this weekend for tomorrow is the First Sunday of Advent. My new candles for our Advent wreath are a rich purple, and I think I’ll add a touch of short bare twigs to the greenery. See, you’ve inspired me!

1. Ah, that is lovely to hear. Amethyst is such a beautiful colour, and the sky had so many varying tones, like a crystal catching the light.

13. Beautiful colours you’ve captured!

14. FlowerAlley says:

You have amazed me again friend.

15. OMG…”like the taste on Cointreau!” Fabulous! Cheers, darling!

Lovely captures of autumn colours, Ali, both in photos and words. I’m amazed you still have raspberries!

1. They have done amazingly well this year. They don’t provide the glut we get with summer-fruiting raspberries, just a handful each day, even at their peak, but if anything they got more delicious as the weather got cooler.

My goodness, what amazing colours and what wonderful shots. I must make an effort to get up earlier. What time did you have this fabulous show?

1. I think it was about 7.30; the sun is just coming up at 7am and it was in the half-light. This sequence of photos were over about a 15 minute period, so it was short-lived, but was spectacular.

18. Once again, a lovely post. You have such a way with words. I so much enjoy how your choice of words perfectly describes the pictures. I’ll probably never get across the pond but, if I do, how I would love to see your garden in person. Thank you for letting us all see it virtually.

1. I would love that too, Laurie. Thank you for your lovely comment.

19. Ali, I love how you capture the beauty in every season. It is such a delight to me. I also loved the different color words you used in the post–a couple of which were new to me!

1. Words delight me, Shelly, and words for colour delight me especially! I am working on a post about colour words as we speak!

1. I can absolutely tell, Ali! I love this about your posts!

20. Jane Lurie says:

A beautiful description to accompany your glowing autumn colors, Ali. A most enjoyable walk through your garden. 🙂

21. Beautiful- some of nature’s most colorful gifts are fleeting. Love the descriptions. Magical!

22. Michelle says:

Such a beautiful and creative post! I love the colors and captions used to describe each image. Your ability to capture nature’s beauty is captivating. Reading your posts are a new addition to my self-care practice. Thank you! 🙂

1. Thank you Michelle, that is lovely to hear. I love the cross-pollination of ideas from blogs I read; I look forward to sharing thoughts. X

That sky was anazing, Ali – well captured. Amelanchier is a great tree, so much of interest throughout the year