A Warm Glow Inside

It’s time to come indoors and snuggle up in a massive jumper and thick socks.

Some candles and fairy lights help.

I bought these lights a couple of years ago.  I have a weakness for fairy lights, for haberdashery, for anything in a range of colours.  These ticked all those boxes.

They get even more pretty as the light outside starts to fade.  I can spend quite a lot of time admiring the variations in colour!

I light a few candles.  There is nothing like the warm glow from a candle.

Maybe a few tealights too.  Arranging them is part of the fun.

I might read a book or watch tv, but my eyes keep being drawn into the warm glow at the hearth.

I love the sparkles being flung outwards.

Simple pleasures.

Do you have a special cosy space for winter snuggling?

The Mindful Gardener should be mulching her borders today, but the fireplace is calling.

Some days we barely move out of first gear.  Don’t feel guilty.  Conserve your energy for when you can get outside and feel fresh air again.  Winter is for rest and relaxation.  Embrace it.

You might like to receive an email notification when a new post is published.  Click on the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of the page.  Then grab yourself a coffee and snuggle under a blanket.  Doesn’t that feel good?

1. I light a pair of candles on my tea table for afternoon tea by the fire, then snuggle with Charlie, my cocker spaniel, in a fleece blanket on the sofa. The blanket is a muted burgundy and green plaid that happens to match the pleated skirt I’m wearing today with black ballet tights and — yes! — thick socks.

1. You paint a lovely picture! I have been tempted by leg-warmers too this year!

2. Beautiful glowing colours.. have a very Happy Christmas!

1. Thank you, and you! Thank you for your support of my blog, and appreciation of zinnias!

1. I still hope to do the zinnia post sometime. We’re moving house for the 3rd Xmas in a row so not sure when it’ll happen but I expect it will happen sometime!

I love fairy lights!!!

1. Anything looks better draped in fairy lights doesn’t it?

1. Happy Christmas to you too! Have a lovely time with your family. x

1. Happy Christmas Chloris! Thank you for your plant knowledge this year!

4. Have a wonderful Christmas. Much love

5. I love fairy lights, too! The brightly colored ones you have are lovely. Soft lights are so very cozy. Winter is time to regenerate. You have captured it brilliantly. Merry Christmas!

1. Thank you Lisa! I have been a little obsessed by the ‘soft’ light aspect! Whilst the LEDs are obviously so much better from an energy-saving and safety point of view, I find the coloured ones can be a bit harsh (especially on some of the mad flashing settings). I like these because they are softened by the outer wool globe. I have discovered the copper wire ones this year, and they are lovely in ‘warm white’!

It all looks very warm and cozy in there. Your fairy lights are very pretty. Unfortunately I don’t have a hearth to drape any over, but I do have a rope of lights wrapped around the banister. Time to switch those on 🙂 Have a lovely time with your family Ali, and I wish you a very happy 2019.

1. Bannisters are perfect! And picture frames – that’s what I used in my last house when I didn’t have a hearth. Thank you Jude; I really love your blogs and the range of topics you cover. Thank you to for your support of this blog!

Thanks for your lovely words and photos Ali, it has been a pleasure to get to know you and your fabulous garden over the year.

You have an insert too. I miss my real fireplace. Our son put a wood heater in its place to warm better when my husband got sick. It does warm the room and sometimes the house but I do miss the gentle fire flames Nothing blooming her because I haven’t even planted pansy. My Dnl has a beautiful camellia, double pink. Of course I had to cut some to bring home.

1. That sounds lovely. We used to have a scraggly camellia but it really wasn’t happy. The flowers are so welcome in winter, aren’t they?

8. I think we are kindred spirits. I, too, love to sit in a dimly lit room with candles flickering and fairy light strings twinkling. Merry Christmas!

1. There is nothing better when there is nothing doing in the garden!

9. Your words and photos are so warm and welcoming, it makes me want to come right over. You have captured the glow of Christmas perfectly!

1. Aw, that would be nice, wouldn’t it? Thank you Cindy; I appreciate your support of my blog, and look forward to being inspired by your creativity in 2019!

10. This was simply beautiful. Thanks friend.

1. Thank you. Your words always mean a lot. x

11. Val says:

That’s all so pretty. 🙂 I’m very clumsy and accident prone so I don’t use candle – well, not lit ones anyway. I just huddle in front of a heater and daydream.

Happy Christmas, Ali.

1. Winter is for daydreaming, isn’t it? Have a lovely Christmas, Val. I love your photos so much; they bring something that is completely unique. So much daydreaming potential there!

1. Val says:

Thanks, Ali. 🙂

1. Merry Christmas Eliza! Thank you for your constant support and thoughtful comments through the year!

12. Wait…jumper means sweater, right? And fairy lights are Christmas lights? It all translates well, thought. I love the twinkle of lights from any source and I love taking time off! And, of course, I love four-legged creatures! Lovely post

1. That’s right, Michele. Language fascinates me – in such a short space of time words mutate and change their meaning, or we have five different words for the same thing in different parts of the world. Have a lovely Christmas, Michele!

I love the look of your soft cosy lighting. We, of course, are throwing open the windows to let the air in overnight in preparation for another hot day. We won’t be snuggling down for a long time yet! Have a lovely Christmas Ali.

14. Thank you for sharing the warm glow, Ali – beautiful colors, lovely words.

1. Thank you Lynn! Merry Christmas to you!

15. So, so beautiful! I love this combination of these candles and Christmas ornaments.

16. Anonymous says:

What glorious photos Ali! They convey so much…