A Certain Flair

Any day now I will tumble head over heels in love with tulips. Before this happens, I want to share with you a wonderful little crocus, ‘Pickwick’.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’ is one of the larger Dutch crocuses which flower slightly later than the little species crocuses. I have planted these in pots at the front of the house.

You can admire a plant from afar, but when you grow it yourself, you really get to know it. The filigree markings on the petals initially attracted me. Now I know it a little better, I can also appreciate the softly scalloped edging to its petals.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

There is a deep purple ink-stain where the petal meets the stem. This is a crocus with substance.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

There is a pearlescent sheen on the outside of the petals. They have an inside lining of lilac. This is a very classy crocus.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

The purple markings at the edge of the petals look slightly gothy here, don’t you think? There is a promise of something inside…

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’ seen from above.

Each crocus has a tiny flare inside it. When the sun shines on it, it opens its petals and shows us its inner flame.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

This is the stigma, the female part of the flower. Stigmas are sticky, and often fluted or crinkled. This is to catch the pollen, so that the flower can be fertilised.

There are some rather wonderful words for describing the shape of a flower’s stigma. Plumoso describes a feathered shape. Lobado describes a lobed shape. There is conicoid (conical), discoide (disc-shaped) and con pelos (with hair). I would describe a crocus stigma as plumoso. Lucky crocus.

This stigma really is magnifico!

Crocus stigma

It is a flare with flair.

Crocus vernus ‘Pickwick’

If you would like to receive posts from The Mindful Gardener via email, then click on the ‘Follow’ button at the bottom of this page. That way, you won’t miss the TULIPS!!!

1. Ms. Liz says:

I love the inner flame, the magnifico stigma, and the flare with flair.. wonderful!

1. I’m glad you appreciated it, Liz. 🙂

I like the way you get up close and intimate with your flowers. Lovely photos and descriptions.

3. susurrus says:

‘Pickwick’ is one of my favourites too. Looking forward to the tulips – we’re lucky that flowers don’t resent being passed over for the next new thing!

4. Tish Farrell says:

You have so captured their magic, Ali. Lovely, lovely crocuses.

5. croftgarden says:

I’m very impressed with your photographs. I particularly like the rain drops on the petals.

1. Yes, I enjoyed them too! There is an up side to rain!

I have / had a couple of these in my garden. They are very lovely and your post is a wonderful tribute to them. I’d say the inner flare is a feather-like filament in a light bulb 🙂

1. That is the perfect description. It glows.

7. Sharon says:

Beautiful photography.

8. Island Time says:

Wow! Beautiful, precious little flower, so exquisite with its flarimg inner flame! Lovely post, thank you!

9. Still waiting for mine to poke through frozen snow in my front bed! I should have planted bulbs in the pair of urns flanking the porch bench, then I’d have some color out there.

1. You won’t ever regret planting a few pots with early spring bulbs!

10. Ann Mackay says:

I love the delicate markings on the petals – beautiful!

11. Christina says:

Beautiful images Ali. What a truly lovely variety Pickwick is.

1. It is, isn’t it? It has been on my wishlist for years – I finally bought some corms.

12. M.B. Henry says:

Beautiful pictures!!

13. These are so beautiful! I love the color. Tulips make me 😃

14. Val says:

Fabulous shots of a beautiful flower. 🙂

Wonderful observations (and words!)

1. They are, aren’t they? I will be growing them again!

16. These pictures are amazing! I especially love the ones with the dewdrops.

1. Dewdrops add a lovely sparkle, don’t they? They remind me to appreciate the little things in life.

17. Felt the need to catch up with you and your beautiful photos. Love this post, it is so inspiring and inspired! I love that you capture every little detail of these crocus! Just beautiful!

1. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Spring flowers reward our close attention, don’t they?