Change

When I look out onto the garden right now, the rose foliage is sparkling back.

Rosa ‘Munstead Wood’ in pots; Rosa ‘Roald Dahl’ behind.

The new leaves are slightly translucent. When they catch the light, and when they catch the breeze, they sparkle.

Rosa ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’, spring foliage.

All my roses have slightly different foliage. Some, like ‘Roald Dahl’, are brightest green.

Rosa ‘Roald Dahl’, spring foliage.

Others, like ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’, are bronze-red.

Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’, spring foliage.

‘Munstead Wood’ combines copper and amber tones. I love the layers of different rose foliage.

New rose foliage looks fabulous with tulips and the pillows of geranium and salvia. I am glad I planted them together. They make a great team.

Tulip ‘Purple Peony’ with Rosa ‘Lady Emma Hamilton’ behind.

Every day, the little sprigs of new foliage stretch up higher, creating new landscapes through the border.

Things are changing.

I have been preparing for a new job. It is a big step. I’m nervous, but excited.

The pear blossom is about to burst.

Pear blossom about to burst.

The cradling leaves are stretching out. The blossom buds are swelling. All they need is the warm spring sun.

Other blossom has burst already. This is the cherry blossom.

Cherry blossom

And this is the damson. They are offering their encouragement, and support.

Damson blossom

Amelanchier is waving its blossom high in the air. It is reaching to the sky, but is still firmly rooted in the ground. The roots spread as far as the branches. If it wasn’t firmly rooted in the ground, it would topple in high wind.

Amelanchier blossom

The garden is in a state of flux. Nothing stays the same for long. There is always something new, always change.

I hope to retain my mindfulness in the next few weeks. No one wants a Manic Mindful Gardener. Although that might be entertaining.

I am aiming to post once per week, at the weekend. I hope you will bear with me whilst I find my new work-life balance.

If you would like to see this plan either bear fruit or go slightly pear-shaped, you can ‘follow’ The Mindful Gardener’ by clicking on the big ‘follow’ button at the bottom of this page.

1. Beautiful! I only found your blog recently but I am hooked. Your garden is looking amazing, new beginnings are everywhere. April is the best time to start a new job, with the support of the cherry blossoms 😀 Good luck! I look forward to your post next weekend.

1. Thank you so much for your support, Katya. That means a lot.

So much ahead of you in the garden to enjoy, Ali. Good luck with the new job…I’ll look forward to your posts whenever they arrive.

1. Thank you Jane; that is lovely of you!

Oh I do hope the transition into your new job goes well – however capable you are there will always be differences to acclimatise to. Will it mean more hours? I too am admiring the rose foliage here, and with so many new roses there is even more to enjoy 😉 Thinking of you in the coming weeks, Ali… 🤗

1. Yes, I am going to be working full time for the first time since before I had children, so quite a big change. But very exciting too – I am ready for the challenge.

That will be a challenge – as will keeping up with your garden 😉 Will you be school based?

2. I will be mainly at our regional assessment centre – my current base. Same team, but a different role.

Well done on being appointed to the role 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

Good luck in your new adventures Ali so enjoyed reading your wonderful blog.You put so much into it.

1. Thank you! That is really lovely to hear, and I very much appreciate the support!

5. Good luck with your new job, its always exciting to have a new path to follow. Your garden is gorgeous, new growth is abundant in and out of the garden. Those tulips 💗🌷

1. They are slow to get going this year, but getting more beautiful by the hour!

6. Anonymous says:

Good luck in your new job. Trust in the garden to get you through any rough patches… Xx

7. Anonymous says:

Good luck in your new job. Trust in your garden to get you through any rough patches.

Good luck with the new job Ali. It is always a nervous time moving elsewhere, but I am sure you will be fine. And you have your beautiful garden to soothe you if it all gets a little scary 🙂 🥀 🌷 🌹

1. The nice thing is that I am in the same team. I couldn’t ask for a better job. A little walk around the garden at the end of the day can work wonders, can’t it?

9. Your roses look so happy and ready to give you a summer’s worth of joy. I love seeing all the green you have. It’s slow coming here, but it is finally coming.
    Best of luck with you new job Ali!. Changes are always difficult and a stress, but if you work as well as you garden, then it should be a change that leads to wonderful things. I will look forward to your weekly posts, and anyone who has a full time job outside the home, and all the work of family, home, and garden, will certainly understand. Oftentimes I think, fewer posts, make them all the sweeter and more to cherish.

1. That is such a lovely thing to say, Cindy, thank you!

Spring brings change in alot of different ways. Blessings to you in the new job and the garden is looking very promising.

11. Congratulations on your new job/work/project/challenge, Ali! Cover everything in prayer, then step out in faith. Be the pear blossom. Let that be your metaphor!

Of course, I’ll continue to follow your “Mindful Gardener” posts each week!

1. That is great to know. Thank you!

Everything is looking so happy, bursting forth with new growth. Best wishes in your new job!

1. I love this time of year, with the energy just bursting from plants. Thank you, Eliza!

Good luck with the new job. Keeping work, life in general and the garden all healthy and happy can be a challenge, I know! But your garden certainly looks great right now, so you have no catching up to do. 🙂

1. I have got ahead with everything today! Nothing like a busy week at work ahead to motivate me to weed the garden!

14. Ann Mackay says:

Love your pictures so full of the life and energy of spring! Had to smile at the thought of the ‘Manic Mindful Gardener’! Best of luck in your new job – what an exciting time! 🙂

15. susurrus says:

I’m adding my good wishes for your new job. I feel certain you’ll be able to make an excellent job of anything you set your mind to.

I love to see rose foliage too 🙂

1. Thank you so much. What a lovely thing to say.

16. Clare Pooley says:

Good luck in the new job, Ali! Your garden is beautiful. 🙂

17. The light catching all that fresh foliage is truly beautiful, Ali. Best of luck with your new job, it’s all change but a new and exciting adventure . . . and you will always have your gorgeous garden to come home to, the best therapy in the world! 🙂

18. Sharon says:

Your garden looks lovely, beautiful leaves and flowers. All the very best for your new job – you’ll be fabulous

19. gaiainaction says:

Wishing you well in your new endeavour Ali, sounds exciting! Your garden looks wonderful, so nice to see blossoms, so promising of what is to come, it is a good sign for the future. Kind regards, Agnes

20. These are beautiful pictures!

21. Embracing the natural changes in life is something I have always had troubles with but am increasingly accepting. This post is a wonderful reminder. And congrats on your new job! How exciting.

22. Also, I am so glad for all the lessons nature teaches me if I will just pay attention.

1. I think I see it as an indulgence; something I am giving myself.