A walk around the garden

I had a request for a video of a walk around the garden so that you can see how the different areas are laid out.

Here is a sequence of five short videos, taken this week, the third week of April.

I think I prefer to write posts rather than use video. But I hope it gives you a sense of the spaces and adds an extra dimension!

Rose garden
Bright Border
Vegetable plot
Greenhouse
Cutting Patch

I hope you enjoyed this quick garden tour. I was conscious that the video file would be enormous if I chatted too much or lingered too long!

My written blog posts are slower-paced; I do like taking the time to reflect and to ponder. I invite you to take your time too. Explore this site at your leisure, and feel free to ask questions in the comments box below.

You can see posts related to these different garden areas by going to the top menu and exploring the categories.

If you would like to receive an email notification when I publish a new post, click on the โ€˜followโ€™ button at the bottom of this page. Your email address is stored securely and is not shared with third parties.

1. carylbeach says:

How fabulous! I enjoyed the walk around the garden, such a lovely garden you have

1. Thank you Caryl, I am really pleased you enjoyed it. I might start doing short videos on Instagram. I am ali.themindfulgardener on Instagram.

2. gaiainaction says:

Very nice videos of your lovely garden.

1. Thank you; I am glad you enjoyed it. X

3. Cynthia Lewis says:

Thank you for the videos!!! What wonderful gardens you have!

1. Natasza Hickmore says:

Theses videos have actually been really helpful to truly visualize your garden. A good support to your lovely blogs and photos. I know that you prefer writing and I love to read BUT would you please consider doing a video update now and then as your borders develop through the seasons? Or if you have tackled a project that you are proud of – please keep writing and photographing but a short video (or videos) like on this post will be the icing on the cake! It was very encouraging to see your plants and it inspired me to think about what I could do in mine. You take beautiful photos but the videos finally allowed me to truly โ€œseeโ€ and understand how your garden works. Thank you for sharing your garden, knowledge and musings.

1. Thank you Natasza, I will. I think I will do short videos on Instagram. I am ali.themindfulgardener there.
        Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. I think I am like you; it is had to visualise the big picture without a video to knit it all together.
        It is a pleasure to share this with you.

2. Thank you Cynthia. It has taken five years to get to this stage, but I am pleased with how it is now.

4. Val says:

I enjoyed this so much! Lovely! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I am so pleased you enjoyed it Val. I hope you are well.

1. Val says:

I’m fine, Ali, thanks. I hope you stay well. x

Lovely visit. All of your hard work is showing.

1. Yes; it has got to a stage where it just needs tinkering with, rather than major projects.

Enjoyed this very much Ali. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ It is nice to see how everything fits together and get a feel for the living space too. Your tulip beds are glorious. What do you plant in them when the tulips are over? My tulips are dotted around in between perennials which then fill in the gaps. Thanks for sharing your videos! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

1. Hi Cathy, I plant dahlias after the tulips. They go out the second or third week in May, and flower from July to the first frosts in November, when I plant the tulips. It seems like a perfect succession to me!

Thatโ€˜s a great idea! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I potted up some dahlias for a friend today as I can put them inside if we get some cold nights. Not sure when I will get to give them to her though. Hopefully before they flower! ๐Ÿ˜œ

2. I have also grown annuals for cut flowers before: sweet peas, cosmos, nicotiana, phlox, etc.

7. Ann Mackay says:

I enjoyed having a visit around your garden – it’s lovely! Your roses look so healthy that it makes me realise that mine struggle. And the tulips are gorgeous!

1. Where do you garden, Ann? And on what sort of soil? The roses do thrive on our Kentish clay. It gets very dry, so they do need a good mulch and occasional long watering in the summer.

1. Ann Mackay says:

I’m in Suffolk, so it’s very dry. The soil has little humus – the people here before weren’t into gardening, so it’s a slow process of gradual improvement. (But this year I have the contents of our compost heap to use – ๐Ÿ™‚ )

2. It is a slow process to improve the soil, isnโ€™t it? We have such heavy clay and it just eats up compost.

3. Ann Mackay says:

We had heavy clay when we lived in Scotland – I remember how difficult it was!

8. Anonymous says:

Thanks Ali. Very nice trip round your garden..I’m still in my nightie though… ๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ˜Š

1. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have been known to do this walk in pyjamas and wellies, so you are in good company.

9. Rupali says:

Beautiful garden and those tulips are very special.

1. Thank you Rupali. The tulips give me so much pleasure.

10. Brian Skeys says:

Thank you for the tour, you do get a different sense of the garden with a video. We shall all have improved our photography and video skills by the end of this lockdown.

1. Yes! We are all learning different skills and being thrown into new situations, arenโ€™t we?

11. Jo Shafer says:

Thank you for the virtual tour of your gardens, Ali! Each area is a garden unto itself, the way I’ve tried to design my outdoor space. As always, it’s a continual work in progress.

1. Absolutely. That is the joy of gardening, isnโ€™t it? The process; constantly creating and imagining and responding to change.

12. Clare Pooley says:

Wonderful videos, Ali!

1. Thank you Clare, I am glad you enjoyed them.

Good to have the videos, Ali (although I couldn’t get the volume any higher and it was a struggle to hear you ๐Ÿ˜) – as others say, it does help to get an overall perspective of the garden. Thanks for taking the time to make them for us

1. Sorry to hear about the volume, Cathy. My phone microphone also amplified the slightest breeze, which is annoying. I would possibly use my headphones with microphone next time…

I didn’t know if it was just me, Ali, but thought I would mention it. It might be different on a different device of course

14. I love hearing your voice, Ali! And I am only on the first video, but I am so excited about this.

15. Oh yay! I get to see you, too!

16. I loved these videos. Thank you!

1. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคธ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธThank you for your characteristically enthusiastic response, Shelly, this really made me smile and warmed my heart!

1. I am so glad, Ali! Your lovely pictures and posts make it easy to be enthusiastic.

17. Lovely tour Ali! It is always so nice to see a face and hear the voice of the person you write to. Now, I feel like I know you a little more and your extensive gardens. How lovely to have so much land and a partner to help you nourish all that lovliness. I’m glad you’ve come back to gardening, I have missed you and your garden.

1. Thank you Cindy! Now that it is spring I am back into the full swing of it!

18. Leif Price says:

Oh, I’m in loved with your beautiful garden!

1. Thank you Leif! I am glad you enjoyed this.